BRiley1
2 Iron

NTP on Celerra VSA. . .

I've been battling an NTP issue, and thought I'd post it here to see what I am doing wrong.

I get NTP errors twice a day on the Unisphere console, so I went into the CLI and manually configured NTP using the ntp.conf file.  When I /sbin/service ntpd start, it takes a while, and comes back with "Failed".

Wireshark sees it go out from the management interface on the VSA, and it sees NTP coming back from the NTP server, but the Celerra still reports that it failed.

Unisphere gives this error:

The NTP servers are not accessible or responding to the time service from [Mon Nov 1 20:21:35 2010].

I can ping the NTP server from the CLI, but not running a "Ping Test" in the GUI.  My assumption is that the management IP has no trouble hitting my NTP server, but the Data Mover cannot hit it for some reason.  However, when I run a capture, I see the management IP is the one sending and receiving on 123, so I am not sure what's going on behind the scenes here.

Do I need to add another interface for the Data Mover on the same VLAN as the management interface?  Sorry if I am overlooking something obvious, but I thought the Data Mover only needed IP's for moving data to iSCSI and NFS interfaces.

If I don't get NTP working, will it break replication?

Thanks for any help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: NTP on Celerra VSA. . .

Check the vce cookbook post.. There is a server_date command that sets the ntp on the datamovers. Keep in mind that in a celerra there are at least 3 entities, a control station, and 2 datamovers. Yes, the ntpd is good for the control station time but it doesn't set datamovers time as well.

Sent from my blackberry

0 Kudos
BRiley1
2 Iron

Clinton:

The server_date command doesn't work for me.  I get  NAS_DB environment not defined.

I'm guessing the NTP works fine on management, but not the data mover b/c they don't have default gateways.  Not sure how else to explain it.

What's weird though is NFS works fine without a gateway.

0 Kudos

Most likely you are logging in with the root account, you should be logging in as "nasadmin".  If do you need the root access for any reason you can manually add the environment variable so all of the nas_ and server_ commands work as they should with "export NAS_DB=/nas".

0 Kudos
BRiley1
2 Iron

Thanks Clinton.  I was able to issue those commands on the nasadmin account.  

0 Kudos