Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 5th, 2010 21:00

Storage Viewer 2.1 is not working

I have vSphere 4.0 client installed on my Windows XP SP3 machine, that works fine when I connect it to our vSphere 4.0 VC or ESX 4.

Installing Solution Enabler v7.1.1 and EMC Storage Viewer v2.1.18 went fine without any error. But after I connected vi client to our VC and when I tried to get LUN/device information from 'EMC Storage' tab, it keeps popping up error:

"method not found: 'vmware.customercontrols.labelEx vpxclient.common.util.helper.addlabe(system.windows.forms.control, Int32, Int32, system.string, system.drawing.fontstyle, boolean)"

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks

16 Posts

August 5th, 2010 21:00

some correction from my initial post:

previous error was popped up when I tried to connect my VI to VC server, and after connected, when I tried to get storage lun/device information from 'EMC Storage' tab, I received the following error:

"Index was out of rang. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index"

34 Posts

August 6th, 2010 01:00

Hello jalite19,

are you using vSphere Client 4.0 U2? As Storage Viewer 2.1 supports vSphere Client 4.1 U1 and there is a new version available: Virtual Storage Integrator supporting vSphere Client 4.0 U2. Is there the option for you to go to this version?

You will find it on Powerlink:

Home >                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Support >                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Software Downloads and Licensing >                                                                                                                                                               Downloads T-Z                     >                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI)

And there are some details to be found on Chad Sakac's blog virtualgeek:

Update on EMC vSphere plugins…

In case you can't move to that version and it doesn't fix your issues, please check the release notes and file it with support for further assistance. I have seen that in the release notes for Storage Viewer 2.1 it's mentioned that Solutions Enabler 7.1 is supported, not sure if it is o.k. to use the version 7.1.1 you installed.

Yours, David

16 Posts

August 8th, 2010 17:00

Thanks David's suggestion, that has made a lot of progress for me. I installed EMC_Virtual_Storage_Integrator-v3.0.1.5 which has no complain at installation, connecting VI client to VC, view storage information from 'EMC Storage' tab.

However, there is still issue with displaying backend information from 'Storage Details' , where Model, Array, Device ID, Type, RAID are showing as 'unkown'.

I might have seen a discussion about this symptom somewhere, but I cannot find it again. can anyone advice what it's the cause, and how I can resolve it?

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 8th, 2010 17:00

VSI needs to get that information from a server that runs symapi service.  I for example use a Solutions Enabler appliance (Suse Linux VM), i deployed it on my vSphere infrastructure, presented a a couple of gatekeepers from Symmetrix in RDM physical mode. Then i point my VSI plug-in to that server and get array information that way.

16 Posts

August 8th, 2010 21:00

that's was the right direction. we are also running client/server environment. I reconfigured VSI and point it to our SE server, this time, test connection passed, all the symms are listed under 'Arrays' tab !!!!

But when I review 'EMC Storage' tab for esx host, they are still shown as 'unknown' for LUN related columns. Any idea?

Based on VSI product guide, it may be related to SPC-2 setting on FA, but I am not certain on that, any more suggestion?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 9th, 2010 05:00

is SPC-2 flag set on FAs or on per HBAs bases ? It's a must have for vSphere

No Events found!