Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2012 18:00

The power of FAST Cache - Booting up 500 desktops on 11 spindles in under 6mins

I recently published a blog about the power of FAST Cache in helping drive down the storage cost barrier to customers wanting to deploy Virtual Desktops.  It's published here:  http://www.vtexan.com/2012/01/05/booting-up-500-desktops-on-11-spindles-in-under-6mins/ .  In the article I link to another one of Andre Leibovici's great Blog Post that actually shows the actual test.  In fact he shows the results of running with FAST Cache disabled and enabled so you can get a clear picture of the net benefits of FAST Cache. 

Keep in mind, performance sizing is just one part of the over all VDI design discussion but in the past, it's been a large part of the costs in storage (disk drives to support the workload).  Utilizing EFD/SSD as a Read/Write cache is one way we can help drive down the costs of the array in an effort to help move forward VDI deployements.

Happy Reading !!

Tommyt

199 Posts

January 10th, 2012 00:00

Thanks for sharing. Normally the boot up time from local laptop/desktop is about 1 minute. What would end users feel about the 6 mins power-on time. Is this 6 minutes the duration for a user from requesting a VDI to actuall had it all setup? I'd like to know what the acceptable response time is from  user experience side .

No Events found!