Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2010 09:00

Uber VSA and VLAN's giving me a hard time. . .

All:

Trying to config my Uber VSA 3.2, and it errors out every single time I add a VLAN to cge0.

If I configure the interface with no VLAN, it allows me, but then I can't ping b/c I need to enter that VLAN number.

Here's the message:

Modify network interface server_2:10.102.131.100. server_2 : Invalid argument

Severity: Error Error
Brief Description: server_2 : Invalid argument
Full Description: No additional information is available.
Recommended Action: No recommended action is available. For more information and assistance: 1. Log into http://powerlink.emc.com and go to Support > Search Support. 2. Use the message ID or text from the error message's brief description to search.
Message ID: 13690601492

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Brandon

Br

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 1st, 2010 07:00

You won't be able to ping outside of the VLAN without a gateway device doing inter-VLAN routing. That is a Layer 2/Layer 3 constraint.

You can use the Vyatta appliance to do this in a lab environment.

The VLAN tagging issue is related to the interface configuration for the simulator. It simply won't work with the current simulator. All tagging has to happen at the port group right now.

Next version it will be on the list.

.nick

October 29th, 2010 13:00

can you post the exact command and output?

53 Posts

October 29th, 2010 13:00

Nothing else to post.  I'm using Unisphere to try and change the VLAN on cge0.  It doesn't matter if I go to change it after it's created, or create it with the VLAN, it errors out.  

October 29th, 2010 16:00

I got the same type of error by doing it via CLI.  It is important to keep in mind that the VSA functions much differently than the real NS unit.  With that being said complications can arise when trying to do things like applying VLAN tagging to interfaces.  I will send this on to see if we can get it fixed or if it is possible in another release.

For now the workaround I would suggest is to add another E1000 network adapter to the VM that is part of a tagged port group.  Once the VM reboots it will be recognized and added.  The new adapter will show up as cge1+ and if tagged at the vsw/dvsw layer will accomplish what you're looking for.

53 Posts

November 1st, 2010 06:00

Thanks Clinton. 

Tried the workaround, but I can't ping outside the VLAN.  Maybe my tagging is screwed up.  My trunking is setup correctly, and on a Windows box, I can ping outside the VLAN on this port group.  Just not with the VSA.

I guess I could run everything on the same VLAN as a workaround for the lab.

Thanks again.

Brandon

53 Posts

November 1st, 2010 08:00

Thanks guys.  I'll use a workaround for now.

No Events found!