Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2011 13:00

VSI SV 5.0 and VNX5700 discovery

Hello folks,

fresh new install of VSI Storage viewer 5.0 and Solutions Enabler appliance 7.3.  No problems discovering DMX3 (gatekeepers presented to SE appliance) but i can't figure out how to discover VNX5700 (block only). Do i need to discover it in SE appliance or do i need to discover it in VSI itself ?  I tried both approaches, first i tried to discover it in SE appliance by going to "Command Execution" tab, populating VNX information (SPA/SPB ip and an account i created in Unisphere). Click Discover Clariion and it just seats there forever and never discovers anything. If i download ECOM log files i see this message:

Thu Sep 15 16:35:19 -0400 2011 se-appliance.mycompany.com ECOM 5258 -1508140144 com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.ind ERROR EventHandler.cpp 440 : Error subscribing from OSL event registration :0 : C:ERROR_CLASS_SOFTWARE F:ERROR_FAMILY_NOT_FOUND R:1000052 1000052 : "No objects of the requested type were found" : "Could not obtain connectivity information for Storage Array"

[8]    com.emc.cmp.osls.se.osl.OslHandle.subscribe():127

[7]    com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.ind.EventHandler.register_entity():325

[6]    com.emc.cmp.osls.api.ind.IndicationQueue.send():72

[5]    com.emc.cmp.osls.api.ind.IndicationBase.send():128

[4]    com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.job.JOB_AddSystem.run():174

[3]    com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.job.JobControl.submit():51

[2]    com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.func.EMC_SystemRegistrationService.EMCAddSystem():160

[1]    com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.SE_SystemRegistrationService.EMCAddSystem():1188

[0]    com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.SE_SystemRegistrationService.invokeMethod():379

Thu Sep 15 16:35:19 -0400 2011 se-appliance.mycompany.com ECOM 5258 -1508140144 com.emc.cmp.osls.se.array.ind ERROR EventHandler.cpp 440 : Error subscribing from OSL event registration :0 : C:ERROR_CLASS_SOFTWARE F:ERROR_FAMILY_NOT_FOUND R:1000052 1000052 : "No objects of the requested type were found" : "Could not obtain connectivity information for Storage Array

I also tried to discover VNX in vSphere Client VSI plugin. I entered SPA/SPB IP, Scope Global and username/passwrod. Hit "Discover New VNX" and get this message:

Failed to discover the new VNX system using Solutions Enabler. Error=The supplied user credentials are invalid. Please try again

I know credentials are fine because i can use them to login to Unisphere. I saw this primus (emc272164) but not sure if it only applies to VNX5100. 

Any idea ?

25 Posts

September 16th, 2011 10:00

Correct.  VSI uses Solutions Enabler to manage VNX arrays.  So if you discover the VNX through the SE virtual appliance, and you point VSI to that SE virtual appliance (using the Solutions Enabler link in the above screen shot), then VSI will automatically know about the VNX.  And vice versa.

Next question, does the user (which is being entered for the discover) contain one of these roles?  These are the only roles that will allow for a successful discover of VNX using SE.

◆ Administrator

◆ Storage administrator

◆ SAN Administrator

25 Posts

September 16th, 2011 07:00

This certainly is a curious error.  I've never seen an error like this, nor have I ever had any issues with the VNX5700.  What version of FLARE (or Operating Environment as it is now called) is running on the box?  I'll follow up with the Solutions Enabler team to see if there is any known issue which might be fixed with the SE 7.3.1 release.

Also, since you asked, it doesn't matter whether you do the discover through the virtual appliance or through VSI.  They both do the same thing, and should achieve the same end result (which unfortunately is an error in this case).

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 16th, 2011 10:00

OE 05.31.000.5.012

so if i discover VNX in SE appliance, i don't have to fill out this section in VSI plugin ?

9-16-2011 1-07-14 PM.png

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 16th, 2011 11:00

if SE appliance discovers the VNX, then why do i need to fill out the fields in that screenshot ?

SE appliance would never discover the VNX, it would seat there and spin forever. I have used Unisphere account that has Administrator rights.

25 Posts

September 16th, 2011 11:00

If the VNX were already discovered in the SE appliance then you would not need to fill out the fields.  The VNX would simply appear in the list without you entering anything into VSI.  But the easiest use case is to just stay within the vSphere Client and VSI and discover the VNX from there.  It is an either-or situation; you can discover the VNX from either the SE appliance or from the VSI screen.

I'll send you a private message so that I can assist you in gathering the appropriate debug details to resolve this problem.  Once a resolution is reached then I'll post the results back on this thread for future occurrences of this error.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 20th, 2011 04:00

Thank you to Lee's help i have been able to discover my VNX. When i tried to discover VNX using SE appliance, my first attempt was to use an account that only had "Operator" role. Now i know that it's not sufficient but while i was trying to do that, in my case that would do something to the SE appliance that even after i changed my Unisphere account role to Administrator ..SE appliance still would not discover it, it's like something got hung. I ended up reboot SE appliance and tried discover again and it worked !!

My question is why not allow Operator role to discover VNX configuration. I am not deploying any other plugins but storage viewer so i don't want to use an account that has modify privileges. Is that possible ?

Thanks

No Events found!