Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

October 21st, 2011 05:00

What is the BP for number of SG when you have 100+ ESX hosts?

What is the best practice for number of SG on VMAX when you have 100 plus ESX hosts?

Do you create one SG and add all ESX host to this SG or do you split ESX host into multiple SG.

Right now my customer has 1 SG with all ESX host in and all TDEV presented to all ESX hosts and from VC I can see that each host sees all LUNs.

Any recommendation or do you know of any WP document?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 21st, 2011 10:00

how many servers are in one ESX cluster ?

94 Posts

October 21st, 2011 11:00

I cannot find best practice documentation on EMC’s or VMware’s web sites concerning your question.  You mention that all ESX hosts can see all LUNS in the storage group. I am assuming you mean that one ESX server, with 100+ VMs (hosts) is in the storage group or is this a cluster?

I would think that the answer would be conditional based on the size of the LUN(s), the number of FA ports and the number of VMs that the ESX server can accommodate. What are you using for creating the storage group; SMC, Solutions Enabler or SymmCLI? 

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 21st, 2011 11:00

Symmcli is solutions enabler ☺

13 Posts

October 24th, 2011 01:00

I assume that if your customer has more than 100 ESX host (VMware vSphere 4.1?), they have split this in different VMware clusters?

My advice would be to create one SG for one VMware cluster.

With VMware vSphere 4.x you can have up to 32 host in one cluster, so they would need at least 4 clusters. Also with 4.0 and earlier there are limitations to the number of VMs/host etc, why you would not have such a big cluster (i.e. have only 8).

Also do remember that you have a limited number of lun ids per hba (255), so in your case you can only present 255 luns / snaps to all esx hosts. For 100+ ESX host this is a bit limited.

23 Posts

October 26th, 2011 06:00

Thanks to all of you for replying to my question.

I got more info from my customer and here is what's happening. Customer has over 120 ESX hosts currently attached to DMX3/DMX4 and they are being migrated to VMAX, customer is also consolidating ESX hosts and putting more VMs on new ESX and creating SG with ESX custer host in (3 physical ESX per SG).

So, it looks like they  will end up with a lot less physical hosts and less than 120 SG on VMAX.

Thanks again.

No Events found!