Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2011 23:00

help me , the vplex error

VPlexcli:/engines/engine-1-1/directors> ll                                                                                        
Name            Director ID         Cluster  Commissioned  Operational  Communication
--------------  ------------------  ID       ------------  Status       Status
--------------  ------------------  -------  ------------  -----------  -------------
director-1-1-A  0x000000003ca013d5  1        true          ok           ok
director-1-1-B  0x000000003cb013d5  1        true          ok           ok
VPlexcli:/engines/engine-1-1/directors> configuration continue-system-setup                                                       
Error validating back-end: This cluster has storage-volumes that are not visible from all directors.
The log summary for configuration automation has been captured in /var/log/VPlex/cli/VPlexconfig.log
The task summary and the commands executed for each automation task has been captured in /var/log/VPlex/cli/VPlexcommands.txt
The output for configuration automation has been captured in /var/log/VPlex/cli/capture/VPlexconfiguration-session.txt
configuration continue-system-setup:  Evaluation of < > failed.
cause:                                Command execution failed.
cause:                                This cluster has storage-volumes that are not visible from all directors.
VPlexcli:/engines/engine-1-1/directors> configuration show-meta-volume-candidates                                                 
Name                                      Capacity  Vendor    IO Status  Type         Array Name
----------------------------------------  --------  --------  ---------  -----------  ---------------------------
VPD83T3:600601606ac02c005af214eabab7e011  80G       DGC       alive      traditional  EMC-CLARiiON-FCNCX111200498
VPD83T3:600601606ac02c005bf214eabab7e011  80G       DGC       alive      traditional  EMC-CLARiiON-FCNCX111200498
VPD83T3:600601606ac02c005cf214eabab7e011  80G       DGC       alive      traditional  EMC-CLARiiON-FCNCX111200498
VPD83T3:600601606ac02c005df214eabab7e011  80G       DGC       alive      traditional  EMC-CLARiiON-FCNCX111200498
The log summary for configuration automation has been captured in /var/log/VPlex/cli/VPlexconfig.log
The task summary and the commands executed for each automation task has been captured in /var/log/VPlex/cli/VPlexcommands.txt
The output for configuration automation has been captured in /var/log/VPlex/cli/capture/VPlexconfiguration-session.txt
VPlexcli:/engines/engine-1-1/directors> meta-volume create -n c1_meta -d VPD83T3:600601606ac02                                     c005af214eabab7e011,VPD83T3:600601606ac02c005bf214eabab7e011                                
Creating a meta-volume from storage volumes on a single storage array is not recommended.  Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes/No) yes                                                
meta-volume  Evaluation of <
create:      [VPD83T3:600601606ac02c005af214eabab7e011,
             VPD83T3:600601606ac02c005bf214eabab7e011]>> failed.
cause:       Failed to create meta-volume at 'cluster-1'.
cause:       Firmware command error.
cause:       One or more of the elements is unhealthy.
VPlexcli:/engines/engine-1-1/directors>

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2011 18:00

The error you're seeing is due to the fact that you have some storage volumes (LUNs on back-end arrays) that are not visible to all directors. Typically, this is an indication of zoning problems (the VPLEX directors aren't zoned to the back-end array storage processors) or LUN presentation problems (the LUNs aren't presented to all VPLEX directors). Before you can continue with the configuration of the VPLEX, you first have to ensure that all storage volumes are visible to all VPLEX directors. Double-check your zoning and double-check the LUN presentation to verify that all VPLEX directors have visibility to the storage processors on the back-end array(s) and that LUNs are presented to all VPLEX directors.

I don't have access to the VPLEX CLI right at the moment, but if you do an "ll" on the storage-volumes context to see all the storage volumes, I believe it will uindicate which storage volumes don't have access from all VPLEX directors.

Good luck!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 17th, 2015 07:00

i had the same issue with release 5.1 .pretty old but that's what i was asked to installed.

I successfully re-imaged one of our Vplex systems with Code: 5.1.0.00.00.11

EZ setup has been completed successfully as well.

After configuring all the zones and verifying in the storage that all BE ports are mapped through at least 2 ports from each director each, I went back to the Vplex to run: configuration continue-system-setup

However, I kept getting this error: 

Error validating back-end: This cluster has storage-volumes that cannot be accessed by dual paths.

configuration continue-system-setup:  Evaluation of < > failed.

cause: Command execution failed.

cause: This cluster has storage-volumes that cannot be accessed by dual paths.

Because of that I couldn't proceed to the Meta volume configuration.

I tried everything.

Rediscovering the array, deleting and recreating all zones and and all luns. Still…nothing.

When I executed the command: ll /clusters/*/storage-elements/storage-arrays/

I got connectivity error issue

That was frustrating like hell.

Zoning were perfect. i even deleted and recreated them carefully. so it was according to Best Practice.

Finally, as an act of desperation I manually trespassed the 2 Meta Volumes i've created on the storage between the SPs.

that seemed to help, and the error on the connectivity was gone, and Meta volumes became identified by the Vplex.

Go figure...

No Events found!