Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2013 07:00

vSphere EMC VASA provider: storage capabilities

Hi *.*

I am currently playing with integrating VNX block(s) into a vSphere5 environment.

I have currently no ESX with active (external) storage connectivity but i already started to install plugins in vSphere.

So here my question:

I have installed EMC VSI and VASA plugins and VASA provider (i use still the SE SMI-S array provider although i have FLARE 32 on a VNX5100) and VASA recognizes VNX5100 correctly.

Issue is now, i do not see any capabilities when i try to create a VM storage profile- could it be that this is due to lack of physical connectivity to VNX from ESX servers and no VM configuration is in place at VNX? Or do i get no capabilities if i only have a VNX5100 which only can handle VP but not FAST?

Any clue?

Thanks for ideas

35 Posts

April 12th, 2013 01:00

everything works like a charm once i have connected ESX servers with SAN connectivity to vSphere.

I see storage capabilities and also could enable VM storage profiles for selected machines.

One thing- when i used SMI-S of solution Enabler for VASA provider, i could see some information from stroage but not all- also storage capabilities were shown but did not work when used for VM storage profiles (always said incompatible to all datastore although datastore met capabilities).

I changed to use directly VASA provider of EMC VNX storage which is possible since FLARE 32 and this works without issues.

286 Posts

March 15th, 2013 09:00

vSphere will not surface capabilities from the VASA provider for storage that isnt there--so if you dont currently have any storage presented no capabilities will appear.

35 Posts

March 18th, 2013 01:00

Hi Cody,

Storage is in place and discovered by VASA and VSI plugins.

So do you mean “storage presented” means storage attached to vSphere nodes?

cheers

35 Posts

March 18th, 2013 08:00

OK- copy that.

So I will bring up some new ESX with SAN connectivity to re-validate.

286 Posts

March 18th, 2013 08:00

Yeah I mean that LUNs are accessible (masked/zoned) to the ESX hosts so they are available to be formatted and used.

March 26th, 2013 04:00

You need to enable the cluster/ host:

Search in the link: "Enable Virtual Machine Storage Profiles in the vSphere Web Client"

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp

35 Posts

March 27th, 2013 03:00

but that i only can do if ESX server is already attached to storage device, right?

Cause currently i see no hosts in "VM storage profiles" (only local disks machines currently) but VM storage profiles seem to be enabled cause i have no enable option.

So i hope i will see available storage capabilities when i create a VM profile once i have a SAN attached ESX.

35 Posts

March 27th, 2013 08:00

Yes- we have Enterprise Plus licenses.

I think VM storage profiles are already enabled but I do not see ESX hosts listed- but as I said, currently no ESX with SAN connectivity is deployed, all ESX with local disks. USM has already my VNX discovered and has full provisioning access (but as mentioned no ESX with connectivity yet)

30 Posts

March 27th, 2013 08:00

Have you checked the license version of your vSphere environment? Profile-driven storage requires Enterprise Plus licensing. If you're not even seeing a link to enable storage profiles, then I'm wondering whether it's a licensing issue rather than a technical one.

Compare VMware vSphere Editions: Managed Virtualization & Cloud Computing

No Events found!