Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2011 06:00

vmfs datastore on FAST pool, experience

Anyone any experience with building a VMFS datastore on a LUN which is build on a tiered pool with consists of FC and SATA spindles.

A customer has a pool with a couple of FC spindles(5) and pool not doing that much IOPS right now.

We want to expand this pool with some 2 TB SATA spindles, to offload some inactive blocks to the SATA spindles.

Anyone any thoughts about this.

Regards,

John Grinwis

48 Posts

January 6th, 2011 07:00

yes, CX4.

With a sub-lun tiering of 1GB, I'm wondering if it's going to be of any use with different small vm's on this tiered datastore. Anyone out there any production experience with a VMFS on tiered CX4 LUN.

123 Posts

Sorry I defaulted to Symmetrix but now I am guessing you are talking about a CX?

48 Posts

well isn't that the whole idea behind pools, mixing EFD, FC and SATA in one pool and use FAST to tier between the different drive types.

123 Posts

Are you talking about combining disk technologies in a single pool?  That is not permitted, nor would you ever want to do that.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2011 18:00

Yes, im testing VMFS with FAST now.  It seems to be pretty good.  I tell everything to go to the lowest performance Tier (SATA) and then after some time, 1GB slices will begin to be promoted.  EMC's recommendation for a 2 Tier pool is 25% (FC) / 75% (SATA) based on capacity.  So if you were using 300GB disks and 2TB SATA disks, a good config would be 16 300GB FC Disks with 8 SATA 2TB.  The problem with a pool like this is the overall small number of Disks but as long as you use NaviAnalyzer or some other tool to keep IOPS and other performance metrics in check, you should be ok.

Mike

No Events found!