Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

October 30th, 2013 07:00

Adding more HDs to vnx5300 in production

There are 5 empty slots in our vnx box.  Now we got money to fully populate it. Should I configure a new array with these 5 new additional HDs or  it is possible to expand already existing array(s)? Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 30th, 2013 08:00

it's possible to expand an existing array if you are not exceeding its specs (these days with 25 drive DAEs) you can have a lot more slots than your model will actually support.

http://www.penguincomputing.com/files/whitepapers/storage/wp_emc_vnx_series_unified_storage_systems.pdf

other questions come up is what flare you are currently running, are you using traditional raid groups versus pool, drive types and protection. Can you give us more details ?

8.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 03:00

I assume you mean pool or raidgroup and not array

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 21st, 2013 11:00

make sure you are running Flare 32 first, then add the 5 drives and your pool will be automatically expanded and rebalanced.

4 Posts

Sorry for disapperaing

We have only one storage pool consisting of 20 disks, RAid type: RAID5. No Raid Groups.

We got 5 new disks to fill VNX two shelves completely to full capacity.

Do I understand correctly that I just need to insert these new drives, then in Unisphere expand exisiting Pool with all 5 drives, and start using them? Will pool expansion  affect other 20 drives in production?

I am new to EMC

Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

login to Unisphere, right click on array and look under properties > software > VNX block operating environment

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 21st, 2013 12:00

looks good to me, that's is current target code.

No Events found!