Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2013 17:00

Ask the Expert: Transactional NAS and Next Generation VNX

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

MCx - Under the Hood

Ask the Expert: Data Protection for Critical Applications on Next-Generation VNX

https://community.emc.com/thread/180985

Transactional NAS is the category that encompasses workloads, like server virtualization and databases, that have traditionally been directed toward block storage but where we’re seeing customers start to embrace file protocols. More and more applications such as Oracle, SQL, SAP, VMware, and VDIs are being run over NAS.

In this Ask the Expert event, we’ll discuss how the next-generation VNX with MCx demonstrates the following benefits for transactional applications run over NAS:

• Performance: Fantastic IOPS and very low latency due to MCx and file enhancements
  • Efficiency: FAST VP for file
  • Availability: Architecture (N+1)

Your host:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=8376&size=350

Kaushik Ghosh is manager of EMC's Unified Storage Division Product Management team. His expertise is in VNX and NAS.

This discussion will be moderated through September 16. Follow the thread in your inbox (see option on right) to receive updates!

666 Posts

September 4th, 2013 02:00

This discussion is now open. We look forward to a fun, interactive and informative discussion.

Regards,

Mark

85 Posts

September 4th, 2013 04:00

My questions for the expert session:

- How does performance (i.e. responstime) benefit if file is an additional layer on top of block?

- How can we manage mixed I/O profiles? (DB, VDI, Office) Can filepools be shared for different workloads?

- How can we assure single-stream-sequential-bandwith-apps with guanteed MB/sec in mixed enviroments?

- How to size storage, memory and protocols?

- How can a transactional db with a app which needs a guaranteed low responstime survive a VNX2 datamover failure? What are the minimum failover times for datamovers in VNX2?

- How to backup DB/VMware environments on file efficiently?

17 Posts

September 4th, 2013 06:00

Why should we attend IOPS enanchments and very low latency on NAS from MCx ?? What are technical benfits ??

September 4th, 2013 07:00

Transactional applications like VMware or databases running on VMware typically require low response time. Traditionally these applications used to run on block. As performance (IOPS and response time) and availability of NAS gets better - more customers would move their transactional applications (at least the ones which do not require the best IOPS/response time) to run on NAS.

September 4th, 2013 07:00

JP - Thanks for the feedback. Here is my response to the questions you posted ...

1. Our file response time for VM workloads is 60% faster with the new VNX.

2. Yes file pools can be shared between different workloads

3. Unfortunately there is no way to guarantee performance today. We are looking at QoS for a future release.

4. We have tools that help with sizing (VNX sizer as an example)

5. VNX DM failover time can be less than 30 secs to up to 90 secs for small-medium number of file systems. In a VMware environment - typically the number of file systems is not very high (each fs maps to a VM data store).

6. RM and AppSync supports VM consistent snaps of the entire NFS data store. You can then backup the snap, or keep the snaps around and use the snap as the first line of defense. We support up to 96 snaps per NFS data store. 

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 4th, 2013 09:00

looks like like File OE is identical to 7.1 from feature set stand point ..it just now runs on faster block hardware. Looking forward to the next version of File OE.

September 4th, 2013 11:00

There are a bunch of features in VNX OE 8 --- and more are planned in 2014. For example, VDMs is an area we have made enhancements and will continue to enhance through 2014.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 4th, 2013 12:00

Good way to learn new things

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 4th, 2013 13:00

i looked at 8.1 release notes and i did not see "a bunch of new features"

212 Posts

September 6th, 2013 00:00

Hi

What is Your reccomendation for setting up storage on the Next gen VNX using NFS for Vmware.

Tiering

lun sizing

thin on the Array or let Vmware do the thin provisioning

September 13th, 2013 13:00

It all depends on the environment and application you are using with VMware. For a generic private cloud implementation, you can use FAST Tiering and array based thin provisioning. Refer to the VSPEX Reference Architecture for Private Cloud for more details.

September 13th, 2013 13:00

It depends on what you are looking at. Happy to go over our file features and roadmap with you.

77 Posts

September 16th, 2013 13:00

This discussion has now concluded. Thanks to our experts and all who participated!

467 Posts

October 17th, 2013 22:00

Thanks!

337 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 04:00

Thanks Steff, for organizing this event, I just missed it.

No Events found!