Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2015 10:00

Can vVNX work with ViPR?

I've tried adding the vVNX to ViPR as a VNX file device and also adding it to SMI-S as a block device.     Both fail.  Is this because it emulates the VNXe, not the VNX?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 20th, 2015 05:00

Hello CockneyUSA and Wei

Same issue occurred in my environment. I failed to recognized vVNX through smi-provider host also.

There are some comments on white paper for vVNX. 

the vVNX system provides an on-array SMI-S v1.6 provider which can be used for both file and block file and block "operations. Any application which has the capability to leverage the SMI-S API can be used to discover and configure the vVNX system based on the supported operations."

vVNX seems be supported with SMI-provider. But why did the SMI-provider fail to identify vVNX?

Some finding for SMI-S,  Only SMI-S 1.5 is  available in EMC download. Is it a issue for this ?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

8.6K Posts

May 14th, 2015 13:00

Its definitely closer to a VNXe than to a VNX block

I don’t think ViPR support it yet

43 Posts

Yes, you cannot add it as a VNX device. There is an SMI-S provider on the vVNX though so you could try adding it as a VNXe3200.

60 Posts

Any idea how I do that?  I've tried adding it as a storage provider and it fails to establish connection to the storage provider.

60 Posts

May 19th, 2015 10:00

Wei, I will try this when I get back to the data center.

11 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 10:00

I think you are right, vVNX has on array SMI-S v1.6 provider. In ViPR controller support matrix SMI-S version 4.6.29 (v1.5) is listed as supported. All the lower versions are also supported. But the latest ones are not. SMI-S version used in vVNX seems to be still in development by SNIA. May be that's why ViPR does not support v1.6 yet.

http://www.snia.org/forums/smi/tech_programs/tech_activities/spec_activities

125 Posts

August 13th, 2015 03:00

Is there any update on vVNX supporting ViPR ?

No Events found!