Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D2

September 23rd, 2014 10:00

Cannot re-ip my VNX 5300

I already have a VNX5700 and during a data center consolidation, I received a VNX 5300 (Unified) from another data center that closed down. I'm trying to re-ip the SP's and control stations, but the SP's settings are all grayed out when I access it via the /setup page. I'm using the sysadmin account. I am only able to change the hostname, which I did so that it didn't conflict with my 5700 on the network. Any ideas?

26 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 10:00

Have a look at knowledge base emc279637. There is a certain procedure for changing IP on a Unified system.

8.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 13:00

That is because on Unified on the IP / name service config is coordinated and you need to follow the procedure in the knowledgebase

October 9th, 2014 12:00

Yes, I tried that. But from the beginning, it says to run "# /nas/sbin/clariion_mgmt -stop" but it says command not found. I'm elevated to root. So I'm stuck.

EDIT: I just noticed that it says the EMC NAS service is not started and that many commands are disabled until it starts. The CS's and SP's have been rebooted multiple times. How do I start that service?

October 10th, 2014 01:00

Just to rule out the obvious, what exactly are you typing in the shell, you're not putting in the # are you ?

Syntax needs to be in the form /nas/sbin/clariion_mgmt -stop

Is the file actually there ? If you type in ls -l /nas/sbin/clar*  do you see the results like below ?

10-10-2014 7-21-56 PM.jpg

8.6K Posts

October 10th, 2014 02:00

I guess he also entered the quotes (")

the hash (#) alone would just make the Shell treat the rest of the line as a comment - so no harm done :-) but no error message either

10 Posts

October 10th, 2014 03:00

Hi ,

looks like nas service is not started, until unless nas services running then only you can be able to execute any commands.

You can try this path (if nas service is not running)

/nasmcd/sbin/clariion_mgmt

October 10th, 2014 03:00

Yes, of course, that didn't occur to me as I replied

October 10th, 2014 04:00

Palaksha, that's right. Looks like the secondary controller had taken over and was running the NAS service and won't fail back. I turned it off and rebooted CS0 before I left yesterday and I'm about to go see if it started the service on it.

January 12th, 2015 12:00

Just getting back to this issue (months later; got diverted to another project). This did not work and the NAS service will not start. I know how to change the SP IP's with Clariion mgmt, but since the control station is in the old network, it fails. EMC support sent a CE here today, but took him all day to get PPP connection hooked up, and that only because I happened to have proprietary cable on hand to hook into the SP's mini-serial. Now waiting several hours for call back. Not sure what will get accomplished with PPP but...

I did notice that on the front of the data movers, they have amber alarm lights on them flashing, but no way for me to know what they indicate.

136 Posts

January 12th, 2015 13:00

Info on the DME lights is available in the EMC VNX5300 Hardware Information Guide - I have added the snapshot here.

DME-Power-Fault LEDs.JPG.jpg

You can also take a look at the next couple of pages of this document (CPU fault LED info is also there).

January 13th, 2015 14:00

Solution: make sure its cabled correctly. Once it was cabled correctly the NAS service started, I reset root again, and re-ip'd the array.

No Events found!