Start a Conversation

Unsolved

5 Posts

September 7th, 2018 10:00

Cant connect to VNXe3150 Unisphere

Hi everyone,

I had an issue with my VNXe 3150 where the fan kept cycling high and low after we had a power outage, and noticed I cannot connect to Unisphere to do a clean power cycle. Im afraid to unplug the Power from the SP's uncleanly, so does anyone have any ideas how to reset the network portion of the VNXe so I can connect back to it?

Definitely dont want to risk losing data on this thing. i have a Mac laptop and when as far as downloading the 32-bit connection utility on a Windows VM without success. I even tried installing the CLI on a linux VM and still couldnt connect.

Dont even get me started on the terrible utilities and lack of OSX and 64-bit support. thats beside the point

4.5K Posts

September 10th, 2018 09:00

You probably should contact support if you're having an issue with the hardware.

glen

5 Posts

September 10th, 2018 09:00

I’m out of support by two years. Figured this topic would have been covered by now. Documentation doesn’t really cover this issue. either.

5 Posts

September 11th, 2018 13:00

I guess that’s part of my question. How can I reboot it without access to unisphere and without risking data loss. Should I unplug one SP at a time?

4.5K Posts

September 11th, 2018 13:00

I really don't know anything about the VNXe, but if the hardware is similar to the VNX, then the management port that you connect a PC to is probably similar. I'd start with trying a Windows PC first. The connection should be 1Gb but it may auto-connect to the switch and the speed may be lower (100Mb). If the hosts connected are still running, then you might want to take a maintenance window to reboot the array and see if the management ports come up.

glen

62 Posts

September 12th, 2018 02:00

The VNXe series have a serial port on each sp. It is the ethernet port with the wrench symbol above it. It is a serial over ethernet connection and you need a tool called ipmi. With this you can reaach the text copnsole of the sp and log in with the service credential. Then you can issue either cli or svc_diag commands. Dell EMC Unity: Using the IPMITool on Unity Systems, (User Correctable). https://support.emc.com/kb/486870 This is the link to KB to use the ipmi toll for a unity array but it is the same with a vnxe array

5 Posts

October 5th, 2018 15:00

thanks for the tip. However, i was unsuccessful connecting using ipmi on both a windows 7 vm and the ipmitool i installed on my mac. i tried connecting to the vnxe on its own LAN, with just my laptop set to the same subnet the VNXe was configured to (not able to ping it either), discovery tool couldnt find it. tried manually resetting the IP with the USB config after pressing the SP "reset button", but doesnt seem to take affect. I have the Serial cable, but there is no documentation on the parameters or how to connect to the VNXe 3150 via DB9 to mini serial cable. Do you happen to have access to that?

62 Posts

October 7th, 2018 22:00

1. Use a serial cable to connect your PC/workstation to the VNXe. Connect to either SP using the serial port marked for service (yellow labeling with a wrench symbol). Open a serial terminal (for example, puTTY), to connect via the correct serial input (that is, COM*) at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit (defaults on most software). Press until you see a login

5 Posts

October 11th, 2018 13:00

Thanks! This was hugely helpful. Though I have some sad news as I see the following errors on both SP's:

.... Storage System Failure - Contact your Service Representative ...

ErrorCode: 0x00001C51

ErrorDesc:

FRU: Motherboard

Fault Status Code: 0x00

Device: USB Flash

Description: Can not find EFLASH USB Flash on Motherboard Error!

Rev: 40.80

P/N: 110-123-003D-01

S/N: FCNSC124100158

EndError:

ErrorTime: 10/11/2018 12:13:24

Im curious what my options are, being out of support. Ill leave this here in case anyone can offer advice. Ill look to see what my options are.

Thanks.

No Events found!