Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2011 15:00

Celerra Replication process to existing destination File Systems, Feedback?

So here's the goal:

I'm attempting to Replicate Source File Systems that are configured without DeDuplication.

I performed the following:

#1 I created a VDM

#2 I then created a test file system that is DeDuplicated Enabled and mounted it to the VDM in Step #1

#3 I mounted the File System as Read Only (ro) via the CLI.

#4 I then modified the VDM with -setstate mounted.  Which places it in an "unloaded" status.

#5 I was able to Replicate the Source VDM to an existing VDM.

#6 I was able to replicate the source FS (NON DeDuplicated) to a destination FS (DeDuplicated Enabled).

So Far So Good.

What happens when I create a new Source File System under the VDM that is currently being replicated?

I could not create a new File System to the Destination VDM since it is "Unloaded".

My questions are:

#1 Is this a valid process?

#2 Can I create a File System mounted under server_2 and then remount to the "Unloaded" VDM?  That way I can select an existing File System through the replication wizard?

Any feedback will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Damian

8.6K Posts

June 6th, 2011 08:00

what *exactly* are you trying to achieve ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 1st, 2011 20:00

what's wrong with enabling dedupe it after the fact, i wonder if that's even supported to have no dedupe on source and dedupe on target.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

is there a reason you are doing it this way instead of when setting up replication for source file system, tell it to create target file system under remote VDM ?

31 Posts

Unless, I'm missing something it won't give me the ability to enable DeDuplication on the destination file system.  We don't want to enable DeDuplication after the fact.  I hope this makes sense.

8.6K Posts

June 6th, 2011 08:00

since the destination file system is readonly and a block-based replica there is really no point in enabling dedupe there

Any deduplicated files will automatically be replicated to the destination fs in their deduplicated state

So if you want deduplication you need to enable it on the source file system

Rainer

31 Posts

June 6th, 2011 11:00

I was trying to get to fancy on this one.

The goal is to cutover from a 16TB File System that sits on a CX700 to a VG8 attached to a CX4-960.

However, (the catch) our current file system has multiple mount points that got "flatten" when they migrated from windows to the current Celerra.

I'm attempting to migrate the different mount points to different file Systems.  Thus, allowing us to grow those individual file systems versus starting a new one since we cannot grow the 16TB file system.

Additionally, the UNC path cannot change as it will impact 1500 users.

I was able to accomplish this by configuring Nested Mounted File System.

So I have a/an NMFS mount point.  I then created and mounted a file system (Litigation) under the NMFS mount point.

I then created 4 additional file systems (Images, Images2, Images3 and Images 4) under the File system mentioned above.

BTW, I enabled DeDuplication on these file systems as well.

I'm currently using EMCopy to move all the data to the new NMFS.

I hope all this makes sense.

Thank you for all your help.

8.6K Posts

June 10th, 2011 06:00

ok - NMFS can work there

alternatively you can try the local DFS root feature (CIFS) or NFS export aliasing.

If you have a full Powerlink account I suggest to ask support questions in the support forum here https://community.emc.com/community/support/celerra?view=discussions

A lot more people are reading and answering there than on ECN

Rainer

No Events found!