Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2014 17:00

Celerra to VNX File system replication

Hi All,

I am trying to setup File System replication between Celerra(Source) and VNX(Destination) using Celerra Replicator.

Both the boxes are in same site. I have configured the replication interface on both Celerra and VNX in same subnet. However, CIFS and NFS subnet are different from replication subnet.

When I try to create a data mover interconnect on VNX for Celerra I get below error:

1) Check if the Data Movers on the specified remote system are accessible.

2) Ensure that the difference in system times between the local and remote Celerra systems or VNX systems does not exceed 10 minutes. Use NTP on the Control Stations to synchronize the system clocks.

3) Ensure that the passphrase on the local Control Station matches with the passphrase on the remote Control Station.

4) Ensure that the same local users that manage VNX for file systems exist on both the source and the destination Control Station. 5) Ensure that the global account is mapped to the same local account on both local and remote VNX Control Stations. Primus emc263860 provides more details.

When I try to create a data mover interconnect on Celerra for VNX I get below error:

1) Check if the Data Mover on the specified remote system are accessible. \n

2) Ensure that the difference in system times between the local and remote Celerras does not exceed 10 minutes. Use NTP on the Control Stations to synchronize the system clocks. \n

3) Ensure that the passphrase on local Control Station matches with the passphrase on remote Celerras. \n

Both the boxes can ping each other's replication interfaces. So network does look to be an issue here.

Passphrase is same. There is a nasadmin local account on VNX, similarly there is a nasadmin local account on Celerra.

Now since, replication interfaces on both the boxes are in same subnet, I dont think we need to setup a static route.

What am I doing wrong?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2014 19:00

data/time on datamovers and control stations correct ?

8.6K Posts

Did you try both ping and server_ping ?

8.6K Posts

Not enough

Both control stations need to be able to see each other

Both data mover need to be able to see each other

I tried to ping using data movers from gui.

Regards

Nishant Kohli

Storage - Guitar Center, ITO | Desk: (818) 735-8800 ext 2835

Mobile – 818 584 5956

E: Nishant.Kohli@Guitarcenter.com

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 4th, 2014 02:00

1) Check if the Data Mover on the specified remote system are accessible. \n

Try to ping the destination datamover from source datamover and vise versa.

2) Ensure that the difference in system times between the local and remote Celerras does not exceed 10 minutes. Use NTP on the Control Stations to synchronize the system clocks. \n

Check date and time on source and destination . It should be same.
nas_cs -info >> to check if NTP is configured
date >> to check the date and time on Control station

3) Ensure that the passphrase on local Control Station matches with the passphrase on remote Celerras. \n

Did you create the trust relationship between the source and destination Celerra Network Server Control Stations ?

nas_cel -l  >> To check the same

nas_cel -i id= // Check the passphrase on the source and destination. Make sure its same.

March 4th, 2014 09:00

Step 1. Tried to ping from source datamover using individual interfaces(cifs, nfs, replication). All Celerra interfaces can ping all VNX interfaces and Vice versa.

Step 2. Thanks for sharing that command. I tried and found time is exactly same on both devices and same NTP server configured.

Step3. Verified that passphrase is exactly same.

So what’s next??

Regards

Nishant Kohli

Mobile – 818 584 5956

I am able to ping all IPs on VNX from Celerra datamover or Control station and Vice Versa.

How do you want me to verify. Everything is pingable.

Regards

Nishant Kohli

Mobile – 818 584 5956

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I would suggest you to open a SR with EMC support for this.

yes

Regards

Nishant Kohli

Mobile – 818 584 5956

Could this happen if standby datamover on VNX is not cabled to the network switch?

We are short of available ports on switches as of now.

We have cabled up the 2*10G datamover ports on primary DM(DM2) to the network, however we are yet to cable the 2*10G datamover ports on standby DM(DM3).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Standby datamover need not to be cabled for your replication interconnect to work. However it is highly recommended to have them cabled to get them work during primary datamover failover.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 4th, 2014 10:00

You can follow primus emc263860 since it complains about accounts as well

There are a number of ways to work around this problem depending on the hardware and code versions on the source and destination sides of the replication sessions. 

VNX5100/5300/5500/5700/7500 (Integrated systems) replicating with any NAS 6.0 system:

1. Create a new global user account on the VNX system. 
  2. Log in to the File side of Unisphere and find the name of the local account mapped to that global account. 
  3. Log in to the 6.0 system and create a local account with the same name as the local account on the VNX Integrated system.

VNX5100/5300/5500/5700/7500 (Integrated systems) replicating with another VNX 5100/5300/5500/5700/7500 (Integrated systems): 

1. Create a new global user account on both VNX systems. 
  2. Log in to the File side of each system  in Unisphere and verify that the local accounts mapped to those global accounts are the same. 
  3. If they are not the same, delete the global account and select a new global account name.

VNX5100/5300/5500/5700/7500 (Integrated systems) replicating with a VNX Gateway (Symmetrix or CLARiiON storage) system:

1. Create a new global user account on the VNX Integrated system. 
  2. Log in to the File side of Unisphere and find the name of the local account mapped to that global account. 
  3. Log in to the VNX Gateway system and create a local account with the same name as the local account on the VNX Integrated system.

VNX Gateway system replicating with another VNX Gateway system: 

• Create the same local user account on both systems.

VNX Gateway system replicating with any NAS 6.0 system:

• Create the same local user account on both systems.

March 4th, 2014 16:00

So as per that primus this is what I need to do according to my scenario.

VNX5100/5300/5500/5700/7500 (Integrated systems) replicating with any NAS 6.0 system:

1. Create a new global user account on the VNX system. 
  3. Log in to the 6.0 system and create a local account with the same name as the local account on the VNX Integrated system.

Step1: I created a global user named 'reptest'

Step2: I think what they refer as the mapping of local and global account. They should have mentioned mapping of local group to global account. Because I dont see how local account and global account can be mapped in user management.

I logged in to file side found global account 'reptest' was mapped to fullnas and nasadmin.

Step3: I created a local account named reptest and mapped groups fullnas and nasadmin to it.

Then I tried to login with reptest to both VNX and Celerra and tried to create interconnects. Still no go.

I guess I am unable to understand Step2 and Step3.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 5th, 2014 03:00

did you try command line while logged-in as "nasadmin" to Control Station ?

No Events found!