Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2011 18:00

Configure CIFS on VNX 5300

Hello -

Trying to configure CIFS server on the VNX 5300.  I was able to configure one of the interfaces on the data mover, and I am able to ping it.  I was also able to create a standalone cifs server. 

However, in Unisphere > Storage > storage pool for file > create...  On the wizard, I get a message "This storage system does not have a template pool that contains any available space" so I am not able to proceed....  What is this template pool?

In Unisphere > Storage > File Systems > create...  I get a message "..no storage pools are available" and "no volumes are available"...  If I go to Storage > volumes > create > I get a message "no volumes available to create a new volume"...

The system has plenty of unallocated HDD for me to use for the CIFS...

Trying to configure CIFS has not been much fun.  I had to use CLI to delete some of the CIFS servers we created, and also to clean up the DM interfaces IP, etc.. via CLI as I have been hammering the system today.  I've had issues within the GUI where I was trying to delete the CIFS server, and modify the interfaces, etc... but it has not been very cooperative.  For example, I try to stop the CIFS service from the GUI, but it does not do anything.  Also, I tried to run the wizards for file system, CIFS server.. etc.. but it has not really been as straight forward as I hoped it to be.  Not sure what you folks' experience has been?

Anyway, any help with stuff that I may be missing would be great.

Thanks...

1K Posts

October 7th, 2011 05:00

You need to create a RAID Group and then bind LUNs on that RAID Group and present the LUNs to the Data Movers. See screenshot below on what type of RAID Groups are supported. Once you present the LUNs to the Data Movers you need to perform a rescan and the AVM will detect the LUNs and present them to a pool.

pool.png

8.6K Posts

October 7th, 2011 06:00

Or just use the Configure Storage for File wizard in UniSphere

15 Posts

October 7th, 2011 07:00

You can bind LUN's from a storage pool aswell..? Thats what I did atleast.

1K Posts

October 7th, 2011 09:00

Go to Storage > Storage Pools and create RAID Group(s). Create LUNs and present the LUNs to the data movers storage group.

7 Posts

October 7th, 2011 09:00

How do I present the LUN to the data movers?

As I've mentioned earlier: 

In Unisphere > Storage > storage pool for file > create...  On the wizard, I get a message "This storage system does not have a template pool that contains any available space" so I am not able to proceed....  What is this template pool?

In Unisphere > Storage > File Systems > create...  I get a message "..no storage pools are available" and "no volumes are available"...  If I go to Storage > volumes > create > I get a message "no volumes available to create a new volume"...

I've also been able to create the RAID group with a LUN in it as well as a storage pool with a LUN in it as well but to no avail.

Any help would be great. 

Thanks.

October 20th, 2011 03:00

I´m not sure if it´s still needed, but as i know you must give those LUN´s a HLU greater than 16. When you use the right Mouse Menu on the LUN to bin it to the "filestorage" Storagegroup it uses the next free HLU and gives no Error Message.

But as i said, i don´t know if that is needed anymore. For Further Information check the NAS Comp. Matrix.

1K Posts

October 20th, 2011 06:00

It is still needed. HLU for data LUNs need to be 16 and higher

8.6K Posts

October 20th, 2011 07:00

Actually no longer needed on newer systems

We do an automatic renumber and rename when discovering

Rainer

No Events found!