Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2014 16:00

Disk Selection for creating New Block storage Pool in VNX7500

Hi All

Can anyone tell me the best practices for selecting disks while creating new storage pool. I know % of each disk types that goes into my pool. But with in each category which disks to select.

I have 60 unconfigured SAS disks all together but i need only 40 in this pool as per my requirement. which one i pick and on what basis?

Thanks in advance

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 8th, 2014 16:00

have you had a chance to review this paper, there is a section called "Storage Pool Considerations". It describes private groups, best practices in terms of drive counts, expansion ..etc.

1 Attachment

4K Posts

January 8th, 2014 17:00

40 SAS disks in a Pool, so RAID 5 will be Ok ((4+1)*8). RAID 1/0 will also be fine ((4+4)*5).

You can also refer to the best practices via the public link: http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h10938-vnx-best-practices-wp.pdf

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 9th, 2014 07:00

if you can select from different buses, sure. These days it's not as important with SAS/NL-SAS drives because of 6Gb backend, it still matters for EFD drives, you want to spread them as wide as possible because they can move some data. You will add drives to a pool but it will be up to VNX how to carve it up into multiple private raid groups.

January 9th, 2014 07:00

SO based on this best pracice guide, i can select 40 drives horizontally. Meaning 14 drives from each Each enclosure (15th is HSpare) then move to next Enclosure in same bus or next bus. It looks like it doesn't matter much with drive selection in pool.

Am i correct?

No Events found!