Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

October 14th, 2016 13:00

Do you think EMC will port Unity's HTML5 UI to VNX for management?

Having issues with Unisphere VNX client.  Been told numerous times by auditors and risk assessment people that we have to move on patching third party programs (like adobe reader, flash, java, etc..).  So we've always been patching the Adobe products with SolarWinds Patch manager, but I've always been nervous about patching Java... rightfully so.

I tested patching Java to my IT workstation today and while the third party patch management worked, I'm left with Java 8 Update 102 and Java 8 Update 102 (64-bit) and no previous version of java thanks to the command line switch /s REMOVEOUTOFDATEJRES=1 at the end of the java installer.

Well Ok great, my workstation is compliant, but guess what.. Unisphere is broken.  It launches and freezes in both IE 11 and Firefox.  Chrome it just doesn't work at all, and I don't think anything Java works in Chrome these days anyway.

Long story short, the new EMC Unity line has ooh'd and ahh'd people at EMC World when it was given a standing ovation after they revealed the new HTML5 based UI.  I'm wondering if anyone has any insight if this will also be ported to VNX / VNX2 line of storage arrays to make management possible?  Or are we stuck keeping isolated virtual machines with vulnerability ridden java versions to manage these critical pieces of our infrastructure?

Would love to know if anyone has a clue.  I'm glad to hear VMWare finally got a clue because vSphere 6.5 will be HTML5 when it is released (target date is mid November).  I've been running the HTML5 VMware fling for a few months and its an improvement over their flash based disaster.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 20th, 2016 05:00

unfortunately that's what i have to do as well.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

Well then I can't wait until our VNX5200 is fully depreciated so I can move to Unity or whatever is out at that time.  That's a a shame because I can no longer get into unisphere.  The login UI freezes.  I basically have to build a stand alone VM that only has access to the control stations and has older java's installed with updates disabled.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

EMC does not retrofit anything, they don't want to invest money/time into legacy platforms so i would say chances of seeing HTML5 on VNX platform is 0 to none.

No Events found!