Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

February 18th, 2021 19:00

Does SRS work on VXNe3200 firmware v3.1.12

On a VNXe3200, running firmware 3.1.11, the built in SRS v2 client stopped working last year due to the EMC SRS servers dropping SSL support etc.

I've been trying to deploy an On-Prem SRS v3 Gateway appliance to bridge the gap, but I'm having problems getting the VNXe connected / registered with the SRS Gateway.

Does anyone know if the newer v3.1.12 firmware is capable of connecting to the EMC central SRS servers with the required TLS protocols, so I can completely skip the On-Prem SRS Gateway part of the equation?

I will be upgrading to v3.1.12 soon, but will give up on the SRS Gateway if it will be rendered unnecessary by the VNXe upgrade.

• 

6.9K Posts

February 19th, 2021 08:00

Hello GingerPom,

Here is a link to the release notes for 3.1.12, & if you look on page 3 it explains about the changes that were done to srs. https://dell.to/3bpOxEu

Here is also a link to the VNXe Series Security Configuration Guide as well. https://dell.to/3uhWiW2

3 Posts

February 21st, 2021 16:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply.

When the v3.1.12 firmware came out, I spotted that section in the release notes, and raised an SR to confirm if this meant SRS would now function again. I was told:

Please be informed that integrated ESRS will no longer be working for VNXe arrays.

Resolution: To get the full functionality of ESRS, the ESRS configuration on the VNXe needs to be changed to a centralized setup.​

As the KB says internal "ESRS" IP DeviceClients are still using SSLv3 API however SSLv3 API has been disabled and been replaced with TLSv1.2.

Also check below KB and deploy a SRS Gateway Server setup in to use SRS on VNXe series arrays:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-in/000063259/vnxe-unable-to-connect-to-emc-please-verify-network-connectivity

Since I was told that I needed to implement an SRS Gateway appliance, that's what I've now done however I'm now having issues getting the VNXe registered on the SRS Gateway. I raised an SR last week and was told this time that the SRS Gateway could only be used as a SMTP server by a VNXe and hence wouldn't allow the remote support aspect that an SRS gateway provides.

I had an older version of the Security Configuration Guide, and hadn't spotted that it had been re-released after v3.1.12 came out. Since it appears the built-in SRS client is now working again, could KB 63259 be updated to mention this new firmware v3.1.12 so not to cause confusion?

So I should be able to upgrade to v3.1.12, and the in-built SRS client will start working again - I was wondering if there was anyone who's already done so and can confirm?

• 

6.9K Posts

February 22nd, 2021 10:00

Hello GingerPom,

I can put in a request to have the KB updated.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2021 21:00

Hi Sam,

I've just upgraded to 3.1.14.10199487, and can confirm that the built in SRS client does now work.

So yes, please do request an update to the KB article to show that an upgrade will allow the internal SRS client to work again.

Thanks,

No Events found!