Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 10th, 2012 22:00

Does "Remote Support Config" = "Notification Email" ?

Hi,

A consulatant has set up an VNX 5100 SAN for us lately.  He has set up a monitoring template with Email notificaiton.

We receive a mail from EMC asking  "Please can you advise if the VNX, is in Production and if you or the CE set up the Remote Support Config, with the Email alert Home to EMC".

We would like to clarify that "Remote Support Config" = Email notification so that we can give a reply EMC.

Thanks

Message was edited by: TonyJK

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 11th, 2012 14:00

ESRS for Clariion/VNX is customer installable

159 Posts

September 11th, 2012 14:00

There are two different types of "Remote Support/Notification" tools. 

• ESRS - This is handy and is generally installed by EMC FOC (at least in my experince), which is both a notifier and remote access tool for EMC to come in and support/check the array in the event a notification is triggered. 
  • Notification (Monitoring) Templates - These are just that.  They can be configured however you set them.  The key here is that he may or may not have setup the alert to EMC.

I suggest you contact your EMC Account Manager or SE and make sure that you have everything correct and possibly get ESRS installed.

Note:  I guess technically there are three -- they have that old dial-up modem thingy EMC likes to ship with every array, but I don't use them.  If you are not paying for a phone line in your data center for the SAN, you are not using them either.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 11th, 2012 16:00

159 Posts

September 11th, 2012 17:00

Oh, it most certainly is yes. I however suggest shooting yourself in the foot before doing so as it will help lessen the pain. :). If you are doing the install on Windows 2008 (I have not checked if there is a new version yet), check my post on how to do it -- though probably unsupported.

TJ

159 Posts

September 11th, 2012 22:00

It would be almost impossible to mess up the SAN by installing ESRS, just follow the guides and you will be okay. Of course, if you have any questions or need a consultant my PM is open.

388 Posts

Should I try to set it up or ask consultant to set up for us ?  I just fear that I will mess up the SAN.

Thanks

812 Posts

Documents and software are shared by Trefor in the thread (shared by dynamox earlier here-

https://community.emc.com/thread/147516?tstart=0 ) . I think you will be good to go with these documents.

If you are still not confident, you may take assistance from the local team.

No Events found!