Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2014 15:00

Does the VNXe support LACP for iSCSI?

Hi,

I've come across conflicting information regarding whether or not LACP is supported on the VNXe for iSCSI.  The document at: https://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/specification-sheet/h8515-vnxe-ss.pdf says that it's only supported for file access but other documents such as the HA guide seem to mention iSCSI and LACP.

I have configured LACP on two separate VNXe 3150s but the behavior is the same.  When creating the port channel on the switch one interface always shows up as suspended:

1      Po1(SU)         LACP      Gi1/0/15(P) Gi1/0/17(s)

2      Po2(SU)         LACP      Gi1/0/21(P) Gi1/0/23(s)

If I manually disable one of the ports the suspended port un-suspends:

1      Po1(SU)         LACP      Gi1/0/15(D) Gi1/0/17(P)

2      Po2(SU)         LACP      Gi1/0/21(P) Gi1/0/23(s)

The switch is fine and I have other port channels working successfully.  It's unclear to me if what I'm seeing is expected because iSCSI is not supported for LACP or if there is some other underlying issue.

Thank you!

33 Posts

June 27th, 2014 04:00

Hello,

The aggregation is independent of the data protocol/s being served by the ports.

The aggregation is at the Linux level. So, iSCSI/NFS/CIFS can all use an LACP aggregation. Its just that for iSCSI we normally discourage aggregation.

Assuming that you intend to aggregate eth2 and eth3, we need to first do the aggregation on VNXe end. On Unisphere, Settings> More Config > (highlight eth3 on the left panel and click on 'aggregate with eth2'). Then set up the etherchannels on Switch.

It would also be useful to check the contents of the following file on VNXe SPs - /proc/net/bonding/bond0. SSH to the VNXe to check this file.

If everything else looks fine, try shutting the ports down and bringing them up with ‘no shut’ at the same time. This can be achieved by using ‘interface range’ option.

Additionally, a fixed speed and duplex on the switch may also cause one of the ports to go suspended. VNXe by default is set for
auto-negotiate and negotiates the max advertised speed and duplex.

Thanks,

Shardul

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

June 26th, 2014 01:00

Hey,

I not sure this, but I found a related thread. Maybe you can find some useful info from this discussion.

iSCSI Connectivity with VNXe3300 Link Aggregation

Hope this helps!

2 Posts

June 30th, 2014 18:00

Thank you very much for the tips.  After I logged into the VNX via ssh (I didn't realize this was possible) I was able to use the Linux utilities to realize that the switch was mis-configured.  The port groups for spa vs spb were overlapping. 

No Events found!