Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2010 15:00

EMC Unified Storage Plugin the selected operation is only supported on EMC unified storage datastores

I just downloaded and installed version 2.  I have added the Celerra Control Station in the plugin. When I try to right click on a datastore and go to the EMC Unified Storage>Properties page, I get the error:

'The selected operation is only supported on EMC Unified Storage Datastores'

I am running NS120 with 5.6.48-7

Any ideas on what is wrong?

28 Posts

October 18th, 2010 16:00

Have you setup a DHSM user on the control station ?

When you go into the plugin from your home screen, go to DHSM settings, enter the control station IP address, username and password,  specify a DHSM username and password (must be unique) and a group ID and user ID which must also be unique (but can pretty much be arbitrary numbers). It will create a DHSM user on the celerra and add the celerra . If you've already added the celerra control station details to the plugin before doing this, then you'll want to delete that reference first.

Failing that, you could schedule some downtime and upgrate to DART 6. Unisphere is so much prettier

16 Posts

October 19th, 2010 13:00

I have found some documentation on DHSM and FileMover, but I am confused on what to do to make the Unified Storage plug-in work.

I am not using FileMover at this time (no secondary tier storage).

When I enter the userid/password for DHSM, how is this tied to my userid from Windows client, if at all?

What IP do I enter?  My workstation is DHCP assigned IP, so I cannot put that in.  I tired to pur the ESX serve addresses, but I get an error in the log that my IP is not authorized.

Dazed and confused ....  :-(

28 Posts

October 19th, 2010 14:00

In the unified storage plugin you get the plugin itself and also a pearl script with some instructions in a word document. Firstly, you need to assign the workstation you are using with a static IP address, as this is what the DHSM references to authenticate access. So when you go into the VI Client, go to your home screen and into the unified storage plugin. The control station IP address it asks for is the management port of the EMC Celerra, then you enter the admin credentials you log in to unisphere with. On the DHSM user section make up a username which isn't already being used and enter the password for that user, then enter the client IP address (which is the static IP address you assigned to your workstation running the VI client), make up a group ID and User ID number essentially (these must not already exist on the celerra..I went with 50 and 50 and it worked fine... if either is not unique, it well tell you, then you will have to restart the control station and go through the steps again with different user ID and group ID numbers)..

When this is done, you should see in the tasks screen at the bottom of the vi client screen that it creates the DHSM user on the celerra and then adds the celerra control station to the plugin)..   it should then (fingers crossed) work..

If you can't give your workstation a static IP, can't you create a terminal server you can log into which has a static IP..   bear in mind any workstation you use will have to have its external IP addess registered with DHSM which is a pain in the bum, and the VI client needs the plugin installed on every workstation you may use, so using a terminal server, gives you a bit of mobility without the hastle. You may also be able to specify a subnet, rather than specific IP address in the DHSM settings..   but i didn't figure out how.

there is another way of creating the DHSM user by copying the pearl script to the control station using SCP, then consoling into the control station and running it..    but try the above way first.

13 Posts

October 20th, 2010 11:00

Here is a link to a thread in the Everything VMware forum that will provide some additional guidance and how to's including a video.

https://community.emc.com/thread/111997?tstart=0

The next revision of the plug-in will try to make some of this configuration easier.

Eric

40 Posts

October 20th, 2010 14:00

The plug-in requires the use of the DHSM interface to perform file-based operations that are not available via any other interface (which is why Unisphere does not require any DHSM configuration). Those operations are: cloning (full and fast) and compress along with obtaining some advanced property info.

No Events found!