Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2011 09:00

Exchange 2010 deployment on VNXe

Hello Everyone,

Recently I read the Exchange 2010 Deployment Guide on VNXe Series,

In page 32 there is a statement that using NL-SAS disks for exchange 2010 is not recommended.

However in the information found in Microsoft official site, they refer to IO reduction, SATA optimizations and JBOD support that provided by Exchange 2010,

There is a statement that "latest version of Exchange requires less storage performance and is more tolerant of storage failures.

The improvements made to Exchange Server 2010 storage add new options to the menu of Exchange storage choices, including the use of Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) hard disk drives and Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks (RAID)-less configurations. Whether administrators choose SAN, direct attached, or JBOD storage, Exchange helps them provide larger mailboxes at lower cost without sacrificing system availability"

So I'm a bit confused why NL-SAS is not recommended by EMC for Exchange 2010?

I will appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Ronen.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2011 03:00

Hi Ronen

The exchange 2010 is designed in such a way that it has a reduced IO( 50 % as per Microsoft). Microsoft maily concentrated on a better performance on the exchange 2010. Firstly, the NL-SAS has a much reduced RPM than the SAS and the SATA drives(7,200 RPM compared withe 15000 RPM SATA),

NL SAS, or Near-Line SAS disks are lower speed, high capacity disks. NL SAS disks are used when large amounts of capacity are required, such as backup to disk.

Secondly the exchange 2010 grows on its mailbox level more than the exchange 2007 deployement. So the capacity pool is the solution for it unlike the RAID 10 in exchange 2007. The capacity pool can be accomplised by the RAID 5 in VNXe. NL SAS do not have the option of RAID 5 because they cannot be a part of performance pool. VNXe 3300 can have upto 3000 user mailboxes, one mailbox with 1 GB capacity, 3000 mailbox to have 3000 GB capacity.

So the application aware exchange deployement chooses the RAID 5 pool- capacity pool while creating a mailbox for the exhange 2010 which is the reason for not recommendation too.

Regards

Ganesh R

No Events found!