christopher_ime
4 Ruthenium

Re: FAST VP

Hmmm.. yes, I agree there is a contradiction.  I have an internal PDF (and verbally been told more than once) that states the following:

[...]

Another enhancement to the VNX OE for File v7.1 and Block R5.32 code which needs to be mentioned is the pre-allocation of slices for Thick LUNs.

So first we start with a pool where no space has been allocated. As soon as we create a new Thick LUN, 1GB slices in the pool will be pre-allocated equal to the size of the LUN created. When data is written to the LUN it will be distributed all over the LUN as needed.

[...]

Let's see if someone else chimes in (I will also do some research).

0 Kudos
christopher_ime
4 Ruthenium

I have submited a question to the group internally as I continue to find contradictions.  For instance, I also know that we recommend using the SOAP tool to preallocate slices (for Exchange 2010) only for pre-Inyo as stated in the:

"Microsoft Exchange 2010 Storage Best Practices and Design Guidelines for EMC Storage

[...]

We recommend that you use this tool when deploying Exchange in storage pools only on CLARiiON CX4 and VNX systems with FLARE release prior to FLARE 32

[...]

I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear back.

0 Kudos
jezza2
1 Nickel

I will look forward to your findings.

Thanks

Sushil

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Rhenium

That statement in the Release Notes is not correct. Thick LUNs when created in flare 32 will pre-allocate all the slices during the initialization stage. Thin LUNs will remain the same. I've opened a case with engineering to fix this wording in the next release.

glen