Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2013 03:00

FC SAN Zoning Best Practices

Dear colleagues,

I will be really appreciated if somebody share FC SAN zoning Best Practices (documents, KBs & etc.).

We've got HP c7000 Blade System with DL460c Gen 8 servers equipped with dual port FC HBA QMH2572 and two HP BladeSystem Brocade 8/24c SAN Switches which are connected to EMC VNX 5300 (Block System). All blade servers will act as virtualization servers (Hyper-V, Windows Server 2012).

Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 20th, 2013 06:00

i am sure if you google "single initiator zoning" you will get a lot of hits. EMC has published a good paper on FC topology and other best practices but i did not see much on zoning best practices ..still good document for reference.

https://elabnavigator.emc.com/vault/pdf/FC_SAN.pdf

Dear dynamox,

Thank you for the information! It's very helpful.

Do you have any links to official guidelines? I want to learn more about this theme.

dynamox wrote:

The two internal brocade switches are not going to be uplink to any other FC switches ?

Yes, they are directly connected to VNX storage system.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you want to connect SPA ports and SPB ports to each fabric so that when you zone each HBA it would look something like this:

Fabric A

Zone1 - HBA1 - SPA0

Zone2 - HBA1 - SPB2

Fabric B

Zone1 - HBA2 - SPB0

Zone2 - HBA2 - SPA2

best practice is still to use single target single initiator zoning. In the example above i zoned one host to 4 front-end ports on VNX but you can obviously zone to a few more if required. Try not to mix different vendor arrays in the same zone, try not to add SPs in the same zone, ie:

Zone1 - HBA1 - SPA0 and SPB2

if SanCopy software is installed on VNX, SPA0 will login to SPB2 and it will start generating warning messages in Unisphere.

The two internal brocade switches are not going to be uplink to any other FC switches ?

4.5K Posts

July 30th, 2013 14:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!