Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 2nd, 2014 07:00

Fast Cache and Storage Pools

Hello everybody

I've got a system with two storage pools (one pool 15K disks SAS and one NL-SAS). On the Fast Pool there are many LUNs which provides server from different type with capacity.

On one of those LUNs there is an DB Server which the customer complains about lack of performance. I check the LUN and the pool and i saw that there is Fast Cache enable for this pool but no Fast VP because all the disks in the pool are from the same type.

How can i check if the Database server blocks are pushed by the Fast Cache Disks? Is there any way to check this?

In generel what would be you design in such a situation?

1) created different pools with different disk type and activate fast cache on a dedicated one OR

2) Create a big one with different disk type and activate Fast VPn

How do you check then if the right blocks are pushed by the fast cache?

How do you messure the different beteween non fast cache LUN and fast cache LUN when there is a Fast Cache funtion on a whole pool? I would like to know the difference by a system when it runs with and without fast cache.

But in this user scenerio I think it is not pissble to quantify...

Thanks

58 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 10:00

EMC probably has internal tools to tell how much of a LUN is in FAST cache, but to the rest of us while it is an interesting question it isn't really useful because you can't influence FAST cache behavior. 

Let's say you were able to find out that none of the LUN in question is in FAST cache.  What can you do about it?  Nothing.  This means that there is something else in the pool which is hotter than the DB LUN you are concerned about.  And in a pool there is only a yes or no to FAST cache for the whole pool. The whole point of FAST cache is that you don't have to guess what portion to allocate to specific LUNs.  The system automatically uses that resource to the best effect on the array.

The only way to fine tune or isolate is to use RAID groups, which have their own management issues.

In your case it is extremely unlikely that putting all the disks in one pool with FAST VP is going to improve the performance of that LUN because it is already on the highest tier of disk available. 

I would first consider what Flare version you are on and upgrade to the latest code revision if possible.  There are some FAST VP and FAST cache improvements in several revisions that may alleviate your problem.  Especially as you probably have DB logs in that pool as well, and small block sequential writes can pollute FAST cache.

If you are on a new enough Flare version (assuming VNX) and are licensed, make sure you have tiering enabled on the pool so that the system will distribute within the tier.  Even though there are not two tiers of disks, the VNX will move chunks around to distribute workload among the private RAID groups of the pool.

Second, you (or someone else) need to do some work to analyze exactly what the problem is.  What is the complaint exactly?  Is it a measured value like latency or it some perceived "thing" that isn't an array problem?

If it is an array problem, is the issue with that LUN, or with workload around it?  Pooled resources are great, but they also have the potential for workloads to be competing with the same physical resources.  A problem can seem like it is with that LUN, but it may be with some other LUN on the system being a bully.

At the end of the day you may need to add resources to the pool.  You can either add more SAS, or you can add an EFD tier.  If you add an EFD tier, you can pin a LUN to it guaranteeing high performance.  However, depending on exactly how large the LUN is this may not be feasible.  And depending on the workload it may be a waste of $$$.

Without knowing specific details it is hard to make a blanket recommendation, but hopefully this information was useful.  I'd suggest engaging an EMC rep or someone similar who can analyze and offer a specific recommendation to improve your performance.

208 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 02:00

Wow this is really an amazing answer, thank you very much on this! I am goint to have a visit on site the next few days and i will check the systems behavior with performance tools and i am going to run iometer from that mentioned machine to see how many IOPS i can receive from my LUN resp. Pool resp. Raid Group resp. Array ;-)

After that i will ask the software vendor for some reference values and if we are able to provide those requirments then I think the customer needs to do something else.

Once again I realy appreciate your effort! Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards

Duke

December 3rd, 2014 08:00

FAST cache really helps for general random block like VMware generates - sequential small block usually generated by DBs aren't usually the best use case for FAST Cache or FAST VP.  A straight up R5 RG with the 15k sas (or even a R1) might be something to look at (I wouldn't even enable FAST cache on it)

No Events found!