Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2013 08:00

Format VNX Lun on Linux

Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

I have recently zoned and connected a Linux host to our VNX system. I've created a Storage Group, LUN, and installed ServerUtil on the Linux host. When running the ServerUtil utility, I can see the Virtual Disk that resides on the VNX however I am not sure what to do from here. In the past with other Storage Arrays, the Lun would show up when running fdisk -l and I could go from there, however this isn't the case here. The Virtual Disk is not present under fdisk even after rescanning the HBAs with the echo.... commands. Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 15th, 2013 09:00

i have seen issues with RH4/5 during its initial configuration, after that you can rescan dynamically doing echo /sys/class/...

8.6K Posts

https://elabnavigator.emc.com/vault/config_guide/Linux.pdf

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

reboot ?

39 Posts

Thank you for your response. I have went through the guide but it pretty much stops once you are able to see the drives with ServerUtil, nothing regarding formatting the disk.

39 Posts

I guess I was hoping for another option other than a reboot. Is this a common requirement when adding a new disk on Linux?

8.6K Posts

It shouldnt require a reboot

Unfortunately different Linux systems use different ways to get a rescan done

Have you looked at the host connectivity guide for Linux (available through eLab).

Maybe that has some ideas ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 15th, 2013 11:00

typical process for a brand new RHEL box in our shop:

1) install OS, install PowerPath, license PowerPath, configure filters in LVM.conf

2) present LUNs, reboot server

3) create aligned partitions (for RH4/5, RH6 partitions are aligned by default)

for future provisioning, use echo to discover new LUNs, verify they get claimed by PP and aligned if needed.

39 Posts

February 15th, 2013 12:00

Update :: Restarting the system resolved my issue. Thank you for your assistance.

No Events found!