Highlighted
2 Bronze

How can I shrink a VNX5300 LUN?

I have a cluster consisting of 2 Windows 2003 nodes. A 1.2TB LUN exists on the VNX5300 which is presented to the cluster as the D-drive, with a 1.2TB partition.

I needed to increase the LUN size to 2TB, which I did, but the disk in the cluster did not show the extra space as I expected it to. I put this down to the fact that Windows 2003 cluster nodes can only see 1.99TB LUNs and anything bigger is ignored.

So what I have is a 2TB LUN which is "seen" by the cluster as a 1.2TB drive. I thus need to shrink the LUN back to 1.99TB and I think the cluster will then see the expanded LUN as the D-drive with a 1.2TB partition and .79TB of free disk.

Is this possible? Can I shrink the LUN in order to get it under the 2TB limit? If so, how do I do it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: How can I shrink a VNX5300 LUN?

cannot shrink LUNs on VNX, is drive format GPT or MBR ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Windows 2003 supports a max. size of 2 TB disk...If you want disk size to be more than 2 TB , you have to convert the existing disk to dynamic(needs downtime) and span the new disk across this disk..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

A Windows 2003 cluster only supports basic disks upto 2TB. I accidentally expanded a 1200GB LUN to 2000GB and the OS will not recognise the extra space and still sees the disk as 1200GB. If I can manage to shrink the drive back to 1999GB then the OS will see it!

The 1200GB disk is a basic disk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

you can't shrink LUNs on VNX, create new LUN and migrate the data (emcopy/robocopy)

0 Kudos