Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2013 15:00

How do I fix CIFS on VNX after I messed up permisisons rather badly?

I have an NFS share that I exported via CIFS as "Users"

I accidently messed up CIFS access and I could use your advice on how to fix it.

Specifically, I accidently set the CIFS permissions from the share level on down to "Read & execute" for my regular AD account and my admin AD account with no other accounts listed.

Since I don't have "Full Control" I don't seem to be able to fix this.

I'd like to

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Chris

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 4th, 2013 19:00

share permissions or folder permissions ?

467 Posts

March 4th, 2013 19:00

If we're talking file level permissions you may want to consider using a robocopy /secfix option between a checkpoint and the source.. Something like this:

robocopy /secfix /xo /xn /xc

That should copy the security permissions without copying the data..  The only downside is you may lose any changes to security information which changed from checkpoint to live..

March 5th, 2013 13:00

Dynamox:

I think I need to fix both.

Can we start with share permissions?  How do I fix those?

THANKS!

-Chris

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 5th, 2013 13:00

you can use Windows MMC to connect to the CIFS server and modify share permissions there, for ACLs you use Mark's method or manually modify them.

March 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi Dynamox:

For the "User" share, I was able to add users and give them full control under "Share Permissions" but no under "Security"

To see if this was a VNX wide issue I created a test share; on the test share I was able to add users and give them full control

I was able to connect to my VNX with MMC and was able to change share and security for a test share I created....

What should I do?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 5th, 2013 16:00

what do you see in security tab for User share or can you not even see anything ? Might have to take ownership and reset permissions.

March 6th, 2013 09:00

Hi Dynamox,

I was worried that taking ownership under Windows would change ownership under NFS -- would it? -- so I didn't try.

Instead, I had EMC 2nd-level support reset the ACLs using:

.server_config server_2 "cifs update /HOME_01 resetacl"

.server_config server_2 "acl reset=/HOME_01"

.server_config server_2 "acl reset=/HOME_01/Users"

After that, share permissions were the same but at the top level (and perhaps below) directory, the trouble-some ACL had been removed and it was now set to Everyone = Full Access.

Thanks!

-Chris

March 6th, 2013 10:00

Mark,

A perl script to fix ACLs would be awesome!

Any suggestions on how I should set the share permissions, ACLs on the share, and ACLs on the user home directories?

THANKS!

-Chris

Dynamox:

Access based enumeration sounds awesome -- how do I activate it for the share?

Thanks!

-Chris

467 Posts

Not sure this will help you,  but I have a perl quick which takes two files as arguments.  The first is a "source".  It when clones ACLs from source to target using ls -led and chmod...  Not sure if this could be adapted to fit your needs or not..

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

use AD groups as much as possible, also take a look at access based enumeration as it can simplify your share structure. It depends on your requirements/environment.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

taking ownership would allow you to modify ACLs that you could not otherwise. Can you look at sub directories of Users, did it reset ACLs there as well ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 6th, 2013 11:00

if you search support.emc.com you will find the utility (emcabe.exe) and the corresponding readme file that explains how to us it.

No Events found!