Highlighted
2 Bronze

How does mixed raid group works in a Pool

Jump to solution

I was recently been updated that new OE 05.32 support mixed raid group. I wanted to know how does it work in a pool environment and how to confirgure it.

Thanks in Advance.

Ivan Skinner

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: How does mixed raid group works in a Pool

Jump to solution

Yes – unless you have already made a different choice of raid level for that tier and that pool

Initial allocation works exactly like before through the tiering policies – based on tier and not on RAID level

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

This is mixed raid groups per tier (flash, SAS, NL-SAS)

When you add a disk type for the first time to a pool you can now choose a different raid level than what you are currently using for your existing disks.

All disks of one tier in the pool have to have the same raid level

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey,

Thanks for the reply so all disk in a tier need to be of same raid group. What’s if I am adding new set of drives to the pool with the same drive type which is already in the pool can I make those disk a part of different raid group, or it will automatically become part of existing raid group in a pool.

Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

When you add drives to a pool the existing internal raidgroups there will not be expanded – new raidgroups will be created

Please revisit the VNX white papers

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer Rainer, so let me take a example here. I have existing Pool consisting of SSD, SAS and NL-SAS drive and they all were part of RAID 5. Now I am trying to expand the Pool size by any disk type like SAS so is it possible that I can make a new raid group with in the pool using the new set of SAS drive or not.

Also If there are 2 different kind of Raid Group with in a pool, then when I am provisioning a new Pool Lun will it give me a option to chosse from raid groups which are already created under pool.

Cheers

Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

No – once you have chosen a raid level for your tier in the pool all the added drives get the same

You would need to create a new pool and migrate your LUNs, then destroy the old pool

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

So in a single Pool can I create different raid group using different type of drive. Like for SSD RG 1/0 for SAS RG 5 and for NL Sas RG 6. Can this be possible.

Also how will be the scheduled tiering will be impacted and also will we get any extra option to chose the RG with in pool while provisioning the Pool LUN

Sorry for asking multiple question but I just wanted to be sure about every thing before I propose any upgrade to our client.

Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Yes – unless you have already made a different choice of raid level for that tier and that pool

Initial allocation works exactly like before through the tiering policies – based on tier and not on RAID level

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

thank you for reply now its all clear.

cheers m8