Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 29th, 2015 07:00

How to access stand-alone CIFS server?

Hello,

I create a new standalone CIFS server but i cannot access the shared folder. i am tried to access it with administrator user that created when i create the server but cannot access it. how to change or create the server users? and is any other step necessary step before creating the server?

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 29th, 2015 07:00

you will need to reset the administrator password, search this forum for instructions.

26 Posts

April 29th, 2015 08:00

Log into any windows client and click on windows security or ctrl + Alt +Delete.T

Enter the cifs server IP name, the administrator account old and the new password.Then you would be able to log into the standalone server.

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

April 30th, 2015 02:00

When i tried to login to CIFS server from windows 7 machine from "Connect to another computer" it not prompt the username and password box, then get "Unable to access the computer . The error was: Access is denied".

26 Posts

April 30th, 2015 02:00

Hi Mariee,

1)After logging into the windows 7 client(hoping its a physical machine) press ctrl+ alt + delete you get the option to change password

2)Click change password , now rather than changing the password for that machine enter the cifs IP address ,administrator

username and old , new password and click ok.

If its a virtual machine console send ctrl+alt+delete to the guest os and change the password similar to the above.

Once the password changed you can start using the standalone server.

26 Posts

April 30th, 2015 03:00

Hello Marie,

You should have enabled the local_users for that cifs server, if not go to the properties of the cifs server and enable it.

1)net use \\ /user:administrator

2)Once it is done use computer management (right click computer) connect to another computer enter the IP Address of the

cifs server and connect to it, there you will have the option of creating a local user.

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

Thank you Zenneosen

Now the administrator password changed, how to create another local user at CIFS server?

Thank you again

8.6K Posts

Use MMC snap-in from a Windows client to manage the localgroups/localusers

See the Configuring and Managing CIFS on VNX manual for details

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

April 30th, 2015 04:00

Hello zenneosen,

the Local_users enabled for cifs server, but when i try to login from client pc "connect to another computer" get access denied

also the users and groups, find the below pic.

cifc.jpg

8.6K Posts

April 30th, 2015 06:00

Make sure you are working with an administrative context for the standalone CIFS server

Easiest was to is manually map a share (C$ will do) to a drive letter using the CIFS servers local admin credentials before you start mmc

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 01:00

Hello Rainer

I already starting the below administrative context from my machine before start mmc:

net use \\ /user:administrator

Type the password for :

The command completed successfully.

after that i connect to CIFS server from mmc, i can access the security log and the Shared Folders but still cannot access ( Local Users and Groups).

is there any other thing I miss!? Should i use " EMC VNX file CIFS management MMC snap in or not necessary?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

May 4th, 2015 05:00

The problem is solved.

Thanks all

8.6K Posts

May 5th, 2015 09:00

What was the solution?

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

May 6th, 2015 07:00

It should to update the hosts and LMhosts files on workstation.

now i can create new users but still cannot edit the groups. still trying..

Thank you

11 Posts

May 30th, 2015 22:00

how you update the hosts and LMhosts files on workstation?

i have a problem like you but in windows 8.1.

my mmc open but user access denied !!!!

thank you

Spark

66 Posts

May 29th, 2016 23:00

i tried but my error access denied.

what is the reason for this?

No Events found!