Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2015 15:00

How to delete File Storage Pool on VNX5200

Hello!  I am new to the support community and I am not even sure if I am listing this in the correct place.  Please feel free to redirect me if this is the wrong place.

I have a customer with a unified VNX5200.  Initially they wanted to run a CIFS file system on the array.  They have now decided they are more comfortable running the CIFS file system from a Microsoft server as apposed to running from the DM on the VNX5200.  I have already used the Disk Provisioning Wizard for File to let AVM handle all the tasks associated with the file storage pool creation.  I am now trying to delete the pool that was created by AVM.  You do not seem to be able to do this from within Unisphere.  I have tried to use the nas_pool -delete command from the CLI but it is not working for me.

It first told me that the nas_pool -delete command had to be executed by root user.  I su to root user and then I get "Error 2224: invalid operation".  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!  Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks,

Bobby

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 16th, 2015 16:00

Bobby,

i saw you commented on another discussion as well. So did you actually delete the LUNs before you deleted them from datamovers ?

April 16th, 2015 16:00

Yes.  I first removed the LUNs from the ~filestorage Storage Group.  Then I was able to delete the LUNs from within Unisphere on the LUNs create and manage page.  I have figured out how to delete the disks using the nas_disk -delete command.  I had to first shrink the file storage pool to get rid of the volume (v99) that was using the file storage pool.  Once the volume was removed from the pool I was able to use the nas_disk -delete command.  Below is what I have done from the CLI:

nas_pool -shrink clarsas_r6 -volumes v99

nas_disk -delete d8

nas_disk -delete d7

nas_pool -list

The pool no longer shows up with the nas_pool -list command but you can still see the pool within Unisphere.  I fear this may be because I left off the -perm parameter when I executed the nas_disk -delete command.  Any ideas how to get the storage pool to no longer show up in Unisphere?  Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks!

April 16th, 2015 17:00

clarsas_r6

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 16th, 2015 17:00

what is the pool name ?

April 16th, 2015 19:00

I assume if you use AVM to create the stroage pool then it is considered a system defined pool and as a result you can't delete the pool?  Researching this further, that seems to be what the issue is.

I think the effect of not using the -perm meant that the disk were left in a raid group.  Once I deleted the raid group I was able to re-provision those disks to the main pool.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 17th, 2015 04:00

yep, can't delete system pools.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

March 13th, 2019 12:00

So, everytime we create a pool with AVM it forever stays on the Celerra?

No Events found!