Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2016 13:00

Issue accessing VNX5100 via Unisphere

Hello.  I am trying to get into the Unisphere web-based management console on my Windows 10 laptop.  The laptop has Java 6 Update 26 installed.

When I surf over to my VNX and click on the Start a new EMC Unisphere session link, a windows pops up advising me that:

Required Java Plugin not found.

A minimum of JRE 1.6.0 is required for this application.

If you have a version greater than 1.6.0_13, please refer to the Release Notes to verify compatibility.

Install the Java Plugin from the link below to continue.

I've tried upgrading to the latest JRE, then downgrading to version 6 and still no luck. Thanks you in advance for any help you can provide.

1.2K Posts

March 29th, 2016 13:00

This is a pretty complex issue to debug.  There are serveral EMC forum threads on the subject - this one is one of the most viewed : Troubleshooting Java for Unisphere web-based client

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

March 29th, 2016 14:00

Thanks Karl.  I am going to try the Unisphere VNX client next to see if I can bypass the web interface method.

EDIT:

Client installed but now the client prompts me for supported version of JRE

1.2K Posts

March 30th, 2016 05:00

Another possibility might be to try with a different browser.  As I type this, the only working Unisphere client I have runs on Mozilla.  Chrome and IE fail for me with the plugin version error.

It's a shot-in-the-dark, but you might try modifying the IP exception list, near the bottom of this post: Unisphere Client problems and Java

I've had different EMC arrays for years and have struggled with this problem for almost a decade.  I keep a virtualBox image of a Win7 desktop with Java 7 U31, with all the exceptions baked in to it.  I open this desktop whenever I need to manage my oldest Clariion, and I never ever let Java upgrade on it.  Since it isn't my day-to-day machine, I'm slightly less concerned about security, and it's served it's purpose well.

Hope this helps!

4.5K Posts

March 30th, 2016 07:00

That's an error that I've seen every time I use Unisphere for VNX1 and VNX2 arrays. I just click through the messages to ignore it and select "run it this one time".

My PC is running Windows 7 64-bit with Windows 11 and 32-bit Java 1.7.51 (64-bit Java is NOT supported) and 1.6.30 (for an older Oracle application). The latest Unisphere (for the VNX2 release 33.155 still has this issue as far as I can tell - I don't have a VNX2 running 33.155 in our lab yet). Within our group we do not run Windows 10 - Windows 7 is our supported version.

I get a similar warning when I run the Off-Array Client to access a VNX1 or VNX2 array

I run java 1.7.51 for a number of reason - I need to access the older VNX1, the CX4 and earlier CX3 and CX700/600.

glen

March 30th, 2016 08:00

I was able to start the Unisphere VNX client.  Thank you all for your input.  Here is what I ended up doing.

Uninstalled latest JRE

Installed JRE 1.7.0_51.

Rebooted my laptop.

Went into the properties of the Unisphere client and noted that it starts a index.html in the Unisphere VNX Client\ directory.

Went to that directory and right clicked that html file and started it with IE (Edge is my default browser).

Once that file was opened w/ IE 11, then I clicked through the warnings as Glen suggested and the client eventually fired up

No Events found!