Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2017 03:00

Issue with Tress quotas on VNX5300

We do have unified VNX 5300 array. We are facing issue with tree quotas on our vnx box. We have created department wise file systems and several tree quotas are created on those file system. issue here is vnx is allowing to create tree quotas whose size in total is greater than actual file system size. just for clarification eg. file systems size is 4gb, tree quotas can be created greater than 4 gb , like 3 tree quotas of size 2GB each. this is resulting in scenario like file system getting full >users still see they have space as per tree quota settings > user cannot write new data as actual file system is full. How can this be prevented. Do we have some configurations missing ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 19th, 2017 06:00

i don't see the point, you do want to oversubscribe because not everyone will use capacity that's been allocated to them. I would concentrate on file system capacity management, array capacity management.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 18th, 2017 08:00

there is nothing wrong with that, works as designed.  You need to work on capacity management so you don't get to the point where file system is full.  Setup file system capacity notifications.

8.6K Posts

September 19th, 2017 02:00

works as designed - the idea here is (as with user quotas) is that not everyone is using up his full quota

if you want guaranteed space for each treequota than dont dont assign more than the file system size for the sum of your treequotas

September 19th, 2017 02:00

Thank you for response. Is there any way to set up automated alert to notify size of quotas in total for particular file system like we do for file system. Because in current situation , every time new quota is created below steps need to be performed: Check for total size of quotas for particular file system Check for free space available on file system create new quota only if there is enough space on file system(assuming there is no free space on underlying pool to extend file system) please suggest if I am taking it right way.

No Events found!