Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2014 04:00

LAN Free Backup of Block-only VNX 5700 to DD2500 using OST

Im looking to achieve LAN-Free backup using Backup Exec 14, a VNX Block Configuration 5700 and a Data Domain DD2500 (with DD Boost).

The storage array is used to present iSCSI LUNs to VMware Hosts.

I should like to use the EMC DDBoost OST plug-in to enable block-level incremental backups of the VMFS iSCSI data stores on the VNX to the DD2500 target.

I have checked all the appropriate sortware and hardware compatability list and all seems to be compatible (although NDMP is not supported in iSCSI environments)

Is LAN-free data flow, initiated by Backup Exec Media Server (over LAN control path), between VNX and DDBoost appliance for iSCSI LUN's possible without a Data Mover Enclosure in the Block Config VNX? (iSCSI is a segregated bus, so I count iSCSI traffic as LAN-Free)

Any confirmation one way or the other would be greatly received.

22 Posts

September 12th, 2015 02:00

hi . llok at dd Boost help

1.2K Posts

September 15th, 2015 05:00

You'll probably want to move this discussion to the Data Domain forum.  If Backup Exec 14 supports backup at the ESX layer, you should be able to perform some of what you're asking.  The DDBoost OST plugin is supported for BackupExec, and BackupExec supports the vStorage APIs in VMware, so conceivably, everything you state should be possibly.  Users in the Data Domain forums may be able to chime in.

No Events found!