Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2014 06:00

Max IOPS on VNX

Hi,

Can you please tell me the maximum IOPS for each VNX series? You can direct me where I can find this information. If it is possible, I would like to see the VNXe also.

Thanks,

Ramesh

October 15th, 2014 07:00

You may refer to the below mentioned content

VNX drive configuration guidelines

254 Posts

October 15th, 2014 10:00

The problem with that question is that there is no specification of workload.  The workload (r/w ratio, IO size, data skew, etc.) are very important and will greatly affect the # of IOPS a configured system can do (by orders of magnitude in many cases).  There really isn't a simple number, as much as we wish there was.  The best way to determine the proper model is to get a good definition of the capacity as well as the workload and then your EMC SE has modeling tools that can help determine a good config.  It takes more effort, but it's the correct way to match a configuration to a set of requirements.

I'm sure it's possible to create a true maximum number, but the workload and configuration used to generate that number would be unrealistic and, therefore, not useful in any real way.

4K Posts

October 15th, 2014 19:00

The result depends on your test environment.

You can find some samples on SPEC:

http://www.spec.org/sfs2008/results/sfs2008.html

EMC Corporation EMC VNX VG8 Gateway/EMC VNX5700, 5 X-Blades (including 1 stdby)
HTML |      Text      
497623 0.96 NFSv3 240 457 60243 GiB 8 Jumbo 10GbE
EMC Corporation EMC VNX8000 Unified Storage System, 8 X-Blades (including 1 stdby)
HTML |      Text      
580796 0.78 NFSv3 424 549 75842 GiB 16 Jumbo 10GbE

EMC Corporation EMC VNX VG8 Gateway/EMC VNX5700, 5 X-Blades (including 1 stdby)
HTML |      Text      
661951 0.81 CIFS 240 581 77455 GiB 8 Jumbo 10GbE

8.6K Posts

October 16th, 2014 02:00

Yep – but are SpecSFS Ops what the original poster meant with “IOPS” ?

October 16th, 2014 03:00

Too many variables make it impractical to calculate a max figure and SPEC results are really synthetic and unrealistic;

(544 200GB efd 21, filesystems striped over 20 LUNs, come on !)

Are you trying to hit an iops target or is this for some twitter debate/war ?

October 22nd, 2014 10:00

I think AdamFox and Brett@S have hit the nail on the head with this one. There are way too many variables to ever give just a straight-up number of IOPS to be expected on an array. In addition to the many factors Adam mentioned other considerations would be whether you are using thin or thick LUNs or if you are using traditional RAID Groups and metaLUNs. Different features can greatly change the overall usage on the array as well. There are just too many factors to give a number.

Contacting your EMC sales team would be the best approach. They can help review what you're looking to do with your array and make suggestions for different VNX models and/or other EMC products that would best suit your needs.

1 Message

March 1st, 2017 07:00

If your looking for a general number not based off of a particular workload type, IOPS or Capacity requirement there's a way to get to it. You really should be calculating by workload type, IOPS and capacity requirements using sizing tools to get real numbers. Every workload is different and will require a calculated number of drives, type of drive to meet IOPS and capacity requirements for performance of a workload type. You should never do this for a real production calculation, but to get to a rough theoretical maximum just calculate the number of drives the array can support by the IOPS that a drive can deliver. If you know how much IOPS an EMC drive type can deliver then its easy to get to a theoretical maximum. There a max for NL-SAS, SAS, and FLASH in every array. Use an EMC storage sizing tool to get to your theoretical maximum. Again never do this for formal reporting to your customers or to calculate production workloads. EMC themselves has numbers that they hit in labs and advertise there numbers in sales and marketing. That's the other thing you can do. You can contact an EMC Pre-Sale Storage Architect and he will also be able to tell you what numbers that they hit in the lab during testing.

No Events found!