Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2013 09:00

Monitoring a VNX-5500 via SNMP

Greetings!

I am looking for a way to monitor performance stats on a VNX-5500 via SNMP.  Let's just say that my search isn't going too well.

The problem I am running into is that the VNX Service Processors don't appear to have much more than an absolute basic SNMP schema installed.  I can snmpwalk the service processors just fine and I get all sort of wonderful stats back about the network interfaces on the SP.  That is not what I am looking for though.  I am looking for performance stats such as IOPS per pool and so on.

Looking on mibdepot.com, it appears that the primary OID for EMC is enterprises.1139 (1.3.6.1.4.1.1139).  Trying to snmpwalk this OID however returns back a "End of MIB" message.  I have tried several permutations of the OID without success.  Note that doing an snmpwalk without specifying the OID returns network stats as expected.  That only helps me in knowing that there is indeed an SNMP listener (daemon) running on the SP.

Can someone point me towards a known working MIB/OID list for the VNX?

Thanks!

Ron

127 Posts

Hi,

This might help you.....refer this document Configuring Events and Notifications on VNX, page 58 for some examples.

http://corpusweb130.emc.com/upd_prod_VNX/UPDFinalPDF/jp/Events_and_Notifications.pdf

Thanks

Madhusudan

8.6K Posts

You didn’t say whether block or file – SNMP is different there

You won’t find performance info on SNMP – you need to use other API’s

For block your best choice is navicli

13 Posts

Ganapa:

Thank you for replying.  Unfortunately, your answer does not help as it is in the wrong direction.  I am trying to do monitoring, not trap receiving.  SNMP_GET, not SNMP_TRAP.

Unless there is a way to have the SP send a report via an SNMP_TRAP every 5 minutes for things like IOPS per pool, this can't work for me.

Thanks!

Ron

8.6K Posts

May 16th, 2013 11:00

No

If you are on a Windows platform you could try the PowerShell cmdlets that are included with ESI

I haven’t looked at them so I don’t know how much info they contain.

What do you exactly want to do ?

For how many and which systems ?

Any reason not to use VNX M&R ?

13 Posts

May 16th, 2013 11:00

I was afraid you would say something like that. 

Now I gotta write a program or two to call navicli and interpret the results.  Fun...

I don't suppose there is any documentation on what NaviCLI is doing over the network to get that info, is there?  You know, an API or something similar?  Even a WSDL would be useful.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 30th, 2013 12:00

You should also look into Unisphere Remote.  It is free. 

Unisphere Remote is a vApp that enables administrators to remotely monitor the health and capacity of multiple VNX™ and VNXe™ systems. The Unisphere Remote server runs within a VMware virtual environment that includes a vCenter server and at least one ESX/ESXi server. The Unisphere Remote server obtains aggregated status, alert, capacity, and performance information from all systems added to the Unisphere Remote interface. Unisphere Remote uses the VNX domain feature to add VNX systems.

Unisphere Remote enables you to:

• Monitor hundreds of VNX and VNXe systems from a single interface.
  • View aggregated alerts, system state, metrics storage, disk capacity, storage usage, and performance data for multiple systems.
  • Organize logical views of systems based on user-defined tags such as location, type, or department.
  • Launch Unisphere in context to manage individual VNX and VNXe systems.

Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZzqZWNCZFg

No Events found!