Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2011 08:00

NS480 Manual Volume Manager - Creating Striped Volume

Hi all,

I have 2 8+1 RAID 5 Groups for a total of 18 disks.

I want to create 2 File Systems on top of this, both striped and using all 18 disks for performance.

I have read a bunch of posts and guides but cannot seem to get a straight answer how to perform this.

Could someone help me with how many LUNs to create on the CX side, and which SPs to assign them to.

Then the exact steps of which pool to put these into on the NS side, and then the order to perform the creation of the strips, metas, etc, etc.

It is all a little confusing!

Also could someone confirm that AVM does NOT stripe across multiple LUNS/RAID groups, but concatenates.

I am looking mostly for performance out of these based on perfmon and other statistics I have taken.

Thanks!

Jake R.

8.6K Posts

June 6th, 2011 08:00

P.S.: there are a *LOT* more people active in the SUPPORT forum category - I would suggest to post questions like this there - you'll get better and faster responses than on CONNECT

8.6K Posts

June 6th, 2011 08:00

Hi Jake,

the AVM manual has all the details.

I would recommend to use the Storage Provisioning Wizard - it will create two raidgroups with two LUNs each balanced between the SP's.

then just use the clar_r5_economy system pool - AVM will stripe between the LUN pair on different SP's and get all 18 disks utilized.

Its really much much easier than MVM.

Unless you put data on it you can also try it, see what it does (/nas/tools/whereisfs), and remove it (nas_disk, nas_raidgroup)

In general for most storage profiles AVM will stripe across up to four LUNs - *IF* it makes sense.

It wont stripe across LUNs that are on the same raidgroup

Rainer

30 Posts

June 24th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for the answer.

My problem is that I DO NOT want to add it to the existing r5 pool that is setup because I need to remove the existing part after I migrate the data off of it to the new pool I create...the AVM will not let me specify a custom pool...

thoughts....

No Events found!