Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 14:00

NX4 Usable space out of vault pack

Hello Everyone,

I am kinda newbie here so please excuse me if I am off-topic in my first post.

When I configure new NX4 there is spare disk space out of the vault pack disks; say, if I configure the VP using 1TB SATA disks I am having 1.4TB of "usable" space, right? If I intend to use that disk space where can I map that disk space, to FC or iSCSI?

Thanks in advance,

- Andres.

Sales Eng.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 29th, 2009 13:00

Hi Andres,

On the Celerra NX4 you can configure the vault drives a few different ways and depending on that configuration you will have different amounts of usable space.  You can see the usable capacities for all of these options by using the Celerra Capacity Calculator located on Powerlink (use the custom configuration tab).

Powerlink  >   Products  >   Hardware/Platforms  >   Celerra Family  >   Sales Tools

You can not use any space on those vault drives for CLARiiON FC connectivity.  You can create Celerra iSCSI LUNs on the usable space of the vault drives.  However, putting user data on the vault drive may have some performance impact depending on the IO pattern to the disks and what type of data you are putting on the iSCSI LUNs.  If performance is a key factor you can contact your local NSPEED Guru.

-Jamie

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 30th, 2009 08:00

To clarify, NSPEED gurus are EMC employees who have a strong specilization in NAS performance.  EMC employees can locate a local NSPEED by taking the following steps:

Go to: http://speed.corp.emc.com/

then go to Tools->Guru List

then click the "open filter" icon on the toolbar

Under "Expertise", add "NAS"

(Disable your popup blocker.)

3 Posts

November 26th, 2009 05:00

In short, if I need to know how the disk space will behave use the Space Calculator. Besides the vault pack disk space can be used for iSCSI not for FC connectivity AND should not be used for I/O demanding applications.

Thank you for the useful tips.

- Andrés.

No Events found!