Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2012 11:00

Pros and Cons

Ok I know this ais probably been asked and answered a time or two already...  But I have not seen the answer.

I currently have a CX4-480 very different interface!

I am installing and setting up a VNX-5500

So here is my question; What are the main differences between;

1. Storage Pool for Files vs. Storage Pool
  2. Is there a perfomance hit for one vs. the other

Sorry for being a dault about this but I am not seeing it.

18 Posts

January 19th, 2012 11:00

Storage pools are block pools that are of a certain RAID type and can be single drive type or a mixture of drives.

Storage Pools for File are based on disk and RAID type presented to the Celerra for file storage. There is no performance hit on those, but rather they apply to two different areas of the VNX.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission (including any accompanying attachments) is intended solely for its authorized recipient(s), and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, or responsible for delivering some or all of this transmission to an intended recipient, be aware that any review, copying, printing, distribution, use or disclosure of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please delete it from your system without copying it, and contact sender immediately by Reply e-mail, or by calling 913-307-2300, so that our address records can be corrected.

Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might negatively affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the sender for any loss or damage arising in any way in the event that such a virus or defect exists.

4 Posts

January 19th, 2012 12:00

question now becomes;

since the majority of what we do here is in the support of WEB Servers running on Linux along with some SQL and Oracle clustered servers, would Storage Pools be a better idea vs. straight LUNs?

4 Posts

No..  Is this a requirement?

18 Posts

Not a requirement to use pools, but pools are a requirement to use FAST.

Nate Wright

Systems Engineer

Alexander Open Systems

636 W. Republic Rd. F-100

Springfield, MO 65807

Office: (417)799-0745

Mobile: (417)841-7531

www.aos5.com

nate.wright@aos5.com

Reply-To: >

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:24:28 -0700

To: Nate Wright >

Subject: New message: "Pros and Cons"

EMC Community Network

Re: Pros and Cons

created by theceras in VNX Support Forum - View the full discussion

4 Posts

FAST...

Pros and Cons

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you can use the same pool for block and for file. If you later on decide to implement FAST, then you are already in proper config because traditional LUNs can not use FAST.

18 Posts

You carve the LUNs out of the block storage pools. Did you purchase FAST VP?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

if you need FAST then you have to use pools

No Events found!