admingirl
3 Silver

Question about moving unbound drives from on VNX to another

Hello,

I have a good number of unbound drives on one array that is a 5400 at our DR site. I have some empty slots in my drive enclosures on my 5700 which could use a bump in space and performance. Can I swap drives out of the 5400 and put them into the 5700? Or is the firmware completely different?

Thanks in advance,

Admingirl

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rainer_EMC
5 Rhenium

Re: Question about moving unbound drives from on VNX to another

it depends - you can look up which part numbers are supported on which model in the DAE and drive firmware matrix available from support.emc.com

besides the technical side there is also the matter of support contracts - since EMC needs to know which drives are in which System for replacement and also since the drives usually derive their maintenance Level and Duration from the System they were bought for you need to check this with your local EMC customer service rep

Highlighted
rewalmilo
1 Nickel

Please Check KB:

450139 : Drives transferred or moved from a VNX array to a VNX with MCx array will not spin up. https://support.emc.com/kb/450139

According to this you need an RPQ for that kind of action.

admingirl
3 Silver

Thank you, the KB article is not coming up when I query it.

0 Kudos
brettesinclair
3 Silver

Re: Re: Question about moving unbound drives from on VNX to another

Here's the contents;

Article Content

Drives that do not have the correct firmware which supports Enhanced Queuing will not spin up.

Running the command naviseccli  h <SP IP addr> faults  list shows the drives are faulted and as removed.

These drives will be unusable.

VNX with MCx Release 33 arrays must have drive firmware that supports Enhanced Queuing. Drives that come from a previous generation of hardware are not currently supported.

EMC has made every effort to ensure that all field spares are at the required version of firmware.
A VNX array with MCx (Block OE Release 33) array requires a version of firmware that supports Enhanced Queuing.  Previous generation drives do not have this feature.
  1. A failed drive was replaced with a drive that does not have the correct firmware.
  2. Tried to move or transfer drives from a FLARE OE array (CX through VNX) to a VNX with MCx OE array.
To resolve this issue:
  1. If the drive was shipped to replace a failed drive, request a new drive.
  2. No attempts should be made to move drives from a VNX5100, VNX5300, VNX5500, VNX5700 or VNX7500 to a VNX5400, VNX5600, VNX5800, VNX7600, or VNX8000. Moving these drives is currently NOT supported.
  3. Update (November 15th 2013): If you DO require a solution to this issue you can ask your Sales Representative for an RPQ which stands for "Request for Product Qualification".  
Verify the status of the drive using the following commands:
  • To display faults for drives, issue the command naviseccli  h <SP IP addr> faults  list
Faulted Subsystem: <array serial #>
Bus <bus #> Enclosure <encl #>: Faulted
Bus <bus #> Enclosure <encl #> Disk <disk #> : Removed
  • To display an event log ID and message for drive, issue the command naviseccli  h <SP IP addr> getlog. For example:
(71678047)Bus <bus #> Enclosure <encl #> Disk <disk #> failed enhanced queuing check. SN: <disk serial #> TLA:<disk tla #> Rev:<disk firmware rev>
  • Ktrace logs on the array s SP may also contain the following warning message:
std:WARN OBJ <disk obj #> DSK:<bus #>_<encl #>_<slot #>: Drive firmware upgrade required.  Enhanced queuing not supported

0 Kudos
Victor Wu
2 Iron

0 Kudos