Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2011 14:00

Questions on VNX attached to ESX

Hello All,

I am in  the process of configuring 4 ( 1 ESX  4.1 and rest 3 Windows) hosts to VNX5100 ( new Install). And have few questions:

1)  I understand , ESX 4.1 doesn't require any host agent and hosts will be recognized automatically through its push agent.However, I am in need for the host agent for the rest of the 3 windows server. Can any one please help me with the link in powerlink that has the latest Host Agent?

2) Customer initially asked for Thin Lun creation for ESX hosts. However, they wanted all Thick Luns for their Iscsi DataStore .Would that be of any impact?

Plus, do i need to register IP on the host somewhere for ESX (iscsi) connection? I am little confused . Appreciate if someone can help me understand what needs to be done when connecting to ESX ( iscsi Hosts).

I have to provision 4- 1TB and 3- 2TB Luns to them , and i don't think creating a meta would be required in this case. Correct me if I am wrong.

3)  Also, I need to Zone these servers to VNX . I do have the WWN details ( attached here ) .But, confused on which is actually needed to zone.

Thanks In advance!!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 24th, 2011 14:00

1)

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads T-Z > Unisphere Server Software

2) Thick LUNs are more performant on first write as there is no delay when it comes to allocating blocks of storage. You can migrate from thin to thick using LUN Migrator

Because the agent is built-in , they should show up with correct names in Connectivity Status. I am assuming you are using pool LUNs, you can't create MetaLUN with pool LUNs.

3) if you are doing iSCSI there is not zoning to do. You just want to make sure each NIC is connected to SPA and SPB, use two different subnets. Take a look at this primus for a lot of best practices recommendations for iSCSI connecivity: emc245445

261 Posts

October 27th, 2011 15:00

Thanks Dynamox

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i would not even mess with the vault drives, create a traditional raid group on those drives, create a LUN that takes up the whole raid group and tell nobody to touch it

261 Posts

Dynamox- I have one more query-

When I am implementing pool storage for VNX  . Do i need to create seperate Raid groups for my first 4 Vault drives ( thats what i have been following so far also i create RG for Hot spares) )?

Or, can i create a pool with all the disks and Vault drives will be taken care by the system.Please suggest.

Thanks in advance!

261 Posts

October 27th, 2011 22:00

Dynamox- I have never carved out LUN fron the vault drives, I simply create Raid group , R5 protection and leave it  .

say if i have 0_0_0 to 0_0_4 drives each 300 Gig SAS, I will need to create a lun of whatever usable capacity is there and let it sit in SPA?sorry, I got confused with the last sentence what you mentioned.

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 28th, 2011 04:00

deeppat wrote:

say if i have 0_0_0 to 0_0_4 drives each 300 Gig SAS, I will need to create a lun of whatever usable capacity is there and let it sit in SPA?sorry, I got confused with the last sentence what you mentioned.

Thanks!

yes, that's what i do

No Events found!