2 Bronze

Recomended size of Storage Pools

What is the recommendation for the maximum number of discs in a storage pool? I want to create a large RAID1+0 storage pool. Is one pool with 20 discs OK, or should I split it into two pools of 10 discs?

The "Best Practices for Performance" document just says make sure the number of discs is suitable for the RAID type you're using. (Among other things)

Thanks,

GTG

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
6 Indium

Re: Recomended size of Storage Pools

From a performance perspective both is fine

Decision points there are more around functionality, space reserveration and failure domain – that should be discussed in the BPP

For example if you plan to use deduplication I would suggest two pools

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

If there is a sweet-spot, or maximum recommendation it is certainly much higher than even 20 disks...

So I would agree that your configuration and usage/workload is much more important.

Is this a single enclosure 25 disk unit with only one drive type?

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Currently, yes. But I'll be adding another enclosure soon.

GTG

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

From the VNX2 Virtual Provisioning White Paper (P/N H12204.6, March 2016) at https://support.emc.com/docu48706_Virtual-Provisioning-for-the-VNX2-Series---Applied-Technology.pdf

Max Disks Per Pool by VNX Array Model:

VNX5200: 121

VNX5400: 246

VNX5600: 496

VNX5800: 996

VNX8000: 1496

Do read the white paper, though, as there are some caveats.  This discussion starts around page 14.

0 Kudos
6 Indium

These are the max numbers (max total drives – 4) – not necessarily the recommended size

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Rainer_EMC wrote:

These are the max numbers (max total drives – 4) – not necessarily the recommended size

Agreed.  That's why I included the caveat to read the specific section of the whitepaper.

Note, the original question (emphasis added by me) was:

What is the recommendation for the maximum number of discs in a storage pool?
0 Kudos