Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2017 15:00

Remove direct connected hosts from VNX

Hi

I have two hosts directly connected to a VNX 5200 within a Storage Group. These hosts no longer have any virtual machines and need to be retired and removed.

As far as best practices go, I cant seem to find any documentation regarding this with EMC.

My process so far would involve:

1. Remove the old hosts from the storage group within navisphere, by editing the storage group and moving old hosts from right to left

2. Remove the physical cabling between the HBA and the VNX FC ports

3. Deregister the intiator via unisphere

I am assuming this has no downtime/interruption effect on the existing LUN's and other online hosts? Am I correct in assuming this?

Would this be a recommended procedure?

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

136 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 02:00

Can't see anything wrong there. You're doing it in the correct order.

This will not affect other LUNs or hosts.

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 15:00

Thanks @StephenKebbell- is there any EMC documentation that defines this procedure? I am struggling to find anything related to this type of configuration, pretty much just reversed the procedure of adding a new host to the VNX

4.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2017 08:00

I don't believe that there is an actual document for uninstalling a host. We generally recommend that steps that you've listed.

glen

2 Intern

• 

136 Posts

June 26th, 2017 02:00

Further to Glen's point, I have not found a specific document for this either.

You can go to https://mydocs.emc.com/ to generate many other prodecures for the VNX, but I did not find any document about removing a host.

No Events found!