Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2016 11:00

Replication

Hi all!

I've been playing some day now, with the vnx free virtual version and I must say it is an amazing product.

I have come across to the replication part and unfortunately I cannot get set it up properly.

No matter what I do the two host just cannot see each other for some reason.

The promiscuous mode switched on in the VMware host, this is a test box, so everything is enabled on this virtual-switch.

At the port settings the storage processor has two interface IP, one for the iSCSI and one for the replication.

I tried to put the replication interface connection into the management network and this didn't help much.

I can see both host and both replication interfaces fine from the same subnetwork.

So the communication between the hosts should not be a problem.

I also tried to separate the replication host interfaces into a new virtual switch and still no luck. (promisc mode was also enabled here)

I'm getting this error:

" The remote system connection failed to validate the replication interface connectivity between the two systems."

Of course the other node's connection turns straight away yellow when it fails.

While it's in the testing phase it looks fine both node green.

Which I make me wonder is that, how come the node-a can login and create the connection, but after that, they cannot communicate?

I'm afraid this might be related to the port direct i/o which claimed to be down, but I cannot change it to be work only on 1000Mb instead of 10Gb.

If anyone could give me a hint what could be the issue with this, then I'd much appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Laz

April 24th, 2016 08:00

I've managed to successfully create a replication between the two boxes finally.

The issue was with the storage engine interfaces.

I had two add IP to the same interface and when I deleted the second and tested again the connection both side started seeing each other.

Now I'm up to creating replication at the storage level.

As I can see the wizard asking  at the Replication Path step 4 for Source spa A and source spa B interfaces.

I got only one storage engine (spa A), then how to get through on this wizard and get it successfully ready, if it's not possible to choose the proper engine interface?

I tried the default auto selection (revert to default) option, but the wizard still gets stuck.

Why the wizard is offering the storage B (spa B) if it does not exists?

If it needs the spa B, then is it any way to create it?

If not then how to avoid this issue here in the wizard.

The local replication works fine, I tested that, but I cannot create either LUN, neither VMstorage replication.

8.6K Posts

April 24th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

there are at least three different virtual VNX downloads available – which one are you using ?

April 24th, 2016 10:00

Hi Rainer,

Thank you for your reply.

I've downloaded this version:

Release date: 10/30/2015

Version: 3.1.7.6448513

It's a bit new to me and not so sure, which version can do HA service and the replication.

Still discovering the features. The vnx vmware doc is not 100% clear to me how to configure this replication.

I have no spa b, and I cannot see how to add it.

Maybe it's not possible in this version.

Please en-light me how to get this done, if it's possible at all.

Thanks very much!

8.6K Posts

April 25th, 2016 01:00

Is this the vVNX vVol Technology Preview (TP) ?

AFAIK that version doesn’t support replication

What are you trying to replicate (LUN/fs/vVol/…) ?

No Events found!