JulianMilano
2 Bronze

SAN Copy from VNX5300 to UNITY400- Is it sync'ing?

This is my first time setting up SanCopy from one SAN to another so I'm not sure I've set it up correctly. I'm using this as my reference: https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h15164-migrating-to-emc-unity-san-copy.pdf

I am at Step 18 where I have 2 LUNs on the VNX setup for SANCopy, and both LUNs are sitting at Status Complete. Am I to understand that if data changes on the source LUN that it will automatically replicate to the destination LUN on the UNITY?

From what I read, the answer is NO, that I have to manually sync the LUNs. If this is the case then I believe that if I change data on the source LUN that the SANCopy status screen should show me how many blocks have changed, awaiting me to manually perform a sync. Well, I changed about 1GB of data on the source LUN, then on the VNX, clicked on the next to the SanCopy to show the source LUN, which still shows a status of 100% completed, but the Mark tab shows "Number of blocks changed to be copied" = 0?

Can someone explain what's going on?

Details:

The Properties of the source LUN shows:

* Session Type: Incremental.

* Sync Copy Required is unchecked.

* Session Throttle = 1

The LUNs are presented to a VMware Windows/SQL cluster as RDMs. I checked the IDs and they match so I've got the right LUNs.

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JulianMilano
2 Bronze

Re: SAN Copy from VNX5300 to UNITY400- Is it sync'ing?

I'm sad to see that no one has replied to my query, but I have found a possible solution. It seems that the code level on our VNX SAN may not be at the latest version and this may be why I cannot see how many blocks have changed on the source LUN, but I have verified that the replication does work and mounted the destination LUN on a test server and it shows the latest data. Note that when both the source LUN(s) and destination LUN(s) are published to the source & destination servers respectively, when you make a change to the source LUN, you need to update the destination LUN on the destination server by changing its drive letter or mounting/dismounting the LUN.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

Hi,

if you need a response then you should open a service request.

SAN copy is a one-time copy - it is not a permanent mirror.

You could so an incremental session.

For more info please see the Details SAN copy White paper

Rainer

0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JulianMilano
2 Bronze

Thanks Rainer. I know SANCopy is an incremental, manually-triggered replication method and I am fine with that. I just could not get the console to visually show the number of changed blocks on the source LUNs before performing the next manual replication. I had a service request running in the background and it was stated that my older SAN firmware may be the cause, although it was still replicating the data when required.

Thanks for the link!

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

unlike SRDF i don't think SANCopy would expose how much is "owned" to the target array. If you created an incremental session there is an internal session that keeps track of changes.

0 Kudos