ayas
MOD
MOD

San copy path failure

Hi there ....

Can you please advise Sancopy session will fail over when path has failed ?

If path in read has failed .... session will chose alternate path and keep session going ? or it will resume till sombody restart ?

please advise on case 1 and 2....... thanks !

Case 1

Case 2

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
chrismahon
2 Bronze

Re: San copy path failure

Hi Ayas,

Happy Friday! In the scenario you have described, I would strongly suggest you go with Case 1 according to EMC Best Practices. Each source SP should have access to each SP on the target system.

In the event of a path failure, you should be able to resume the SANcopy session if there are other paths available. If not, repair the failed path and resume the session.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
ayas
MOD
MOD

Thanks Chris!

So if Case 1 red path has failed Alternate path would be chosen automatically ... or this have to be manual operation to keep this session ?

thanks !

Aya

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Rhenium

Path failures should work automatically.

glen

0 Kudos
ayas
MOD
MOD

Hi guys ...

thanks you heaps for helping this issue ....

My customer told me that he had san copy resumed when one path has cut ....

So it seems path failure will not keep san copy going even there is alternate path ....

thanks !

aya

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Rhenium

Re: Re: San copy path failure

I found this San Copy Zoning guide - this should help - this was from an example using three array - I've attached the document - it's old, but still valid - see pages 8 and 9 .

SanCopy_Zoning.PNG.png

glen

0 Kudos
bayya1
2 Bronze

Re: Re: San copy path failure

Hi Ayas,

Please verify the initiators again, If you are using mirror view initiators for SAN copy, it will get failed.. check in source array - san copy connection and make sure all are registered and logged in

Regards,

Bayya

0 Kudos
ayas
MOD
MOD

Re: Re: Re: San copy path failure

Hi all ..

Thanks heaps for the information !

As I have told that there is no port issue( neither log in issue )  on the array side ,, I would say this is the design for SAN copy .

One Path would be chosen per session , but if that path fails during session , session would be resumed and starts when failed path is fixed. ( There is no trespass or some kind act  to keep session going from Array side upon path failure ,,, )

This is SAN copy , if this is MV, MV try to keep session going ( trespass occurs)  ,,, this is the difference between Data Migration and Data Backup ( protection ... ) would`t it? ... ( San copy is migration solution and work with other Array as well that is the reason for this as well )

thanks !

Aya

0 Kudos