Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2013 06:00

Schedule VNX Snapshots

Is there any way to schedule VNX snapshots?

We are using some LUNs from VMware ESXi and need to schedule snapshots every 3 hours.

467 Posts

April 15th, 2013 06:00

You can use naviseccli.  Check out this thread:

https://community.emc.com/message/414687

8.6K Posts

April 15th, 2013 07:00

If you mean VNX block snapshots – not on the VNX itself

You can use the snapcli/navicli from a client together with its scheduler though

6 Posts

April 15th, 2013 07:00

Yes, I mean VNX block snapshots and on VNX itself, preferably configured through Unisphere.

8.6K Posts

April 15th, 2013 08:00

The VNX block side doesn’t have a built-in scheduler for snapshots

We have rules for auto-deleting snapshots but not for creating them

It guess that’s because we think that for block snapshots customers want at least OS consistency or even application consistency – for that the client needs to drive the snapshot creation after flushing its buffers and interfacing with the application

6 Posts

April 17th, 2013 03:00

Yes, in a perfect world all snapshots should be application consistent.

But in our scenario it's nots possible, at same time, create consistent snapshots of all Virtual Machines and their applications residing on the same LUN and do not interrupt production.

For our scenario, create snapshots very frequent without application consistency  and do a crash&recovery in the event of an emergency it's a acceptable approach.

So, It's a shame that this so basic feature it's not available.

8.6K Posts

April 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

I would suggest to use the „Product Enhancement Request” form on Powerlink to let EMC product management know your use case.

Rainer

214 Posts

April 17th, 2013 07:00

What about AppSync for VMware? Haven't used it myself but this is what the release notes say.

Supported applications are Microsoft Exchange 2010 and VMware datastores. Protection

of VMware datastores is through the EMC VSI for VMware vSphere AppSync Management

plug-in, available at http://support.EMC.com, Support by Product, and type AppSync.

No Events found!