Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 19th, 2012 06:00

Snapview Clone Private LUNs on FLARE disks?

Hello *,

i have a question regarding the use of FLARE system disks for CPLs. Normally those disks should not be used for (production) as i think best practices recommend.

I use virtual provisioning and curently i have one 5disk SAS 15k RAID group and this traditional RAID group only houses 2x 1Gb CPL.

Cause CPLs need LUNs on a traditional RAID group i want to use the 4 FLARE system disks as traditional RAID group housing the CPLs and to reuse those other disks for VP/tiering usage not to waste the space for only 2x 1GB CPLs.

Is this OK or anything against this solution.

Thx for answer

December 28th, 2012 04:00

Hi

Well, you may keep private LUNs such as CPLs in the vault drives, but it is not recommended, because these private LUNs will be extensively used by the storage system's layered applications..like snapview, mirrorview, etc and hence it may impact overall array's performance.

If at all you want to use the vault drives for keeping user LUNs, then, EMC recommends to use the vault drives to keep user LUN having archival data..or data which are very least accessed by production..thereby making use of the capacity in the vault drives for user data.

Thanks

Anirudh

No Events found!